Extend-A-Room problem

bonsim

Feb 22, 2012
Hello.

I wonder if anyone can help and see if I have any rights.

In January I had asked a conservatory company to come round and quote me. The sales rep was at my house for about 2 hours and he managed to get us a really good deal, which we were really pleased about. He had asked for a 20% deposit up front, which equates to £2800. The cheque was cashed a few days later, but in the mean time my bank who had previously said we borrow on our exisiing Mortgage suddenly pulled out and said they will not lend us more at this time.

The bank had told us that borrrowing for us would not be a problem as we have over 1/2 the price of our house in equity and it was just a matter of some paperwork, but it went back and forth and when they eventually said they would not lend us more, we were well out of our 14 day cooling off period.

I got straight back in touch with the conservatory company, who told me not to panic and they were not the sort of company who takes customers money for nothing. I was told to put it all in writing to their legal dept, but I have just had a letter saying thatt they are in their rights to keep my money.
So they have had £2800 off me yet they have done nothing for this money, I wexplained that when I get over this hiccup, I would probably go back to them, but they are not interested and just want to keep my money.

The inly thing they have suggested is get credit through them, but it is at a higher rate than my bank would have beem, plus, there is no gurantee this would go through if my bank have refused.

I have learnt a valued lesson from this, I will never give a 20-% deposit uinless I have the money in my bank.

IS there anyting I can do?

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Yes you can ask him what he has spent the money on as he can only keep that portion that covers his costs. I'm guessing this was for materials to start the job, if he says this is the case, tell him those items are now yours, whether you can take them and store them is another matter, however, I don't think he'll come back with an answer, just that it's in his T&C's which you signed to say you had read them - not good enough.

Come back when you have your reply and let us know what he says

bonsim

Feb 22, 2012
Thanks for your reply, I am going to write a letter today, I will let you know how I get on!

Thanks and kind regards