harveys refund ?

andyb

Feb 23, 2012
hello. first time post so bear with me !
we purchased 3 seater + 2 seater sofas in jupiter range and had it delivered in july 2011.we had some issues with 2 recliners and some colour shade problems and demanded a replacement.they agreed and new sofas arrived in september.By christmas we noticed tears and small rips on all the seat corners and we not happy with quailty.we phoned customer service and was told we could have a replacement or exchange for a different range but we had to have a service guy to make a report.he came out and found other small tears on both sofas and said we should have no problem sorting it.we had to chase harveys for a reply and we were then told we could not have a refund and we had to have it repaired first and if we were still not happy they would discuss it further afterwards.We are not happy with the quailty and just want it sorted but harveys dont seem to care about customer sattifaction.we are worried if it gets repaired then it will only rip again and they will not help us anymore. any advice please. thanks for any help.

Last edited:

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Harveys could have a forum all of it's own!!

Unfortunately the period for which you can return goods for a refund is a bit grey, obviously your furniture is faulty and I'm guessing won't be easily repaired unless they replace the seat covers which is likely to give you the same problem as you had originally with colour shades.

3 months is very poor for a sofa to be ripping as its a high price item, so although the general opinion seems to be that goods that are faulty on receipt command a refund, I would be arguing that this suite is not fit for purpose.

You may have to take a small discount (and it would be very small) for the wear you have had from the sofas, but I would be insisting on a refund or replacement (of a different suite) or further action.

From the first line you will gather we have had this issue once or twice before :rolleyes: maybe the OFT should be looking into them and their mates who really annoy me all over Christmas, easter, July, and any bank holiday where their sale MUST END MONDAY!!!!

Oh and don't worry that a repair will prevent you from taking further action, you haven't only got 12 months to deal with this, for as long as they provide you with faulty goods or repairs, you have the law backing you.

bedsgooner

Jun 21, 2012
Andyb, we're in exactly the same position as you with our Jupiter 2 & 3 seaters! Purchased in Oct 2011, first noticed cracks over christmas and finally got the "we'll repair" letter in March once the technician had visited us. still waiting for a date when the parts will be available! we now have small pieces of the brown leather textured vinyl from the recliner sections missing, which shows the white fabric backing. I have spoken to Harveys today and waiting from the store we purchased from to contact me. I'm not expecting a quick response even though i've threatened them with trading standards, invoking the "not fit for purpose" which didn't get a response, i'm writing to my credit card company today too, as advised by Citizen Advice Bureau, to tell then that I "hold them responsible under section 75 of the comsure credit act" to see if that provokes some action.

You never know i might get a response, but I doubt it! Trying to leave a comment on the Harveys website has proved fruitless as they "moderate" and don't seem to put any adverse comments online - i wonder why?

SargFowler

May 9, 2013
I know this post is a long time from the last, but thought I'd put in my two pence.

The previous post is very much the same experience that I've had. Poor quality, fabric tearing, padding too tight, stitching pulling.

I got a refund from Harveys, but only after exposing the salesman to the main office manager. The Harveys policy is to offer a refund or replacement if you're unhappy with the goods, but the store manager refused to offer a refund. After the main office manager got to know, we got our refund.

I can't see Harveys carrying on like this, the forums are full of complaints.

Bevan07

Jun 13, 2013
Re: harveys Harvey's Harvey's long story

Harveys
We brought mellissa 2x electric leather sofas beg 2011 within 6 months leather started to wear between the sofas through recliner action rubbing together actually took the leather back to the black rubber effect underneath and also the same to the seating position and head position. Phoned Harvey's said *they had never had a problem with these. They sent out young man not particually *interested said the head *marks was through hair gel ? We are retired my husband *always sat hear he doesn't use anything on his hair.The seating was to be expected to wear through sitting on it and reclining action would be expected to do that.
Had to chase Harvey's they agreed to exchange waited 12 weeks for replacement and within 2 months started to happen again sent out replacement *12 weeks later *when this arrived even the delivery men could not believe it the whole suite was different leathers. We would of liked our money back but they wouldnt agree we said right we will go for a fabric suite faux suede we chose just manual recliners this time not electric. GUESS WHAT didn't notice till 11 months down the line but same thing with this one only this time actually went into small holes where the recliner had gone up and down.*
Phoned harveys sent someone out he didn't have the right camera so to get a better picture he stuck his finger In the holes to make them bigger to take a photo we said hope this doesn't come back on us. No he replied.
Never seen this before on this suite I've been doing this job for 17years.
Would you believe Harvey's said it wasn't covered as he put it down to scuff marks so its not covered I even have a extra 5 year warranty.
My husband was not pleased and the man at Harvey's said basically what do you expect faux swede will wear we have now passed it to resolution team
Phoned them which appears to be same department she said will have to go back to ecomaster to see if he means this is a manufacturing fault she and this young man were extremely arrogant I told her I will not let this go they told me to ring back Thursday young man said he would have to email res team again.
Again very patronising young man. told him I knows this is still down to you as this is not satisfactory quality and that when I brought the product you did not state to us that *using the recliners might wear the fabric I have statory rights basically told me they were members of the ombudsman etc etc still waiting to hear.HELP!*
Are all of Harvey's staff trained to be completely utterly rude arrogant and patronising ?

johnsouth

Nov 8, 2013
Hi,

Harvey's have now admitted to the jupiter range fault being a factory fault.

They have offered me a replacement of my choice up to to 25% above what I paid for no cost to myself.

Ring them!