Please help!! 8 1/2 months pregnant and MAJOR probs with CAR :(

flisshill

Feb 27, 2012
Hi,

I would really appreciate it if anyone can help me as I am at my wits end!!

I am 8 1/2 months pregnant and due anytime and 3 weeks ago my partner bought a 2nd hand Peugeot 307 HDI for me to use so that I would have a decent reliable car (my old one kept braking down). It was purchased from a 2nd hand car dealer in Blackburn and they said it would have a new cambelt and water pump and full service, MOT etc before picked up. We asked if any discount was available on the asking price they said no as all the work was being carried out. We decided this was worthwhile for peace of mind and reliablility (my partner is in the armed forces and works away).

Firstly when we collected the vehicle and drove it away from the garage the light came on to STOP as there was low coolant. Went straight to garage and bought coolant and upon checking found it was empty! Also, rear headlight didn't work, windscreen wiper didn't work and front right indicator light didn't work. I had to drive hour round trip to get them all fixed within the first week which I was disappointed about but could live with. Quite why they weren't picked up on MOT or full service I don't know?

THEN last week I went to the car at home and the car started and then cut out and would not re-start. The car dealer has a 28 day warranty as standard for any vehicle so I rang them and they said bring the car in and they would sort it out. Rang the AA who came to my home and the AA man thought it was the fuel pump. Car was towed to garage and all last week I didn't have a car.

After 2 days they said it was the fuel relay and they had replaced a part and I collected the vehicle on Friday evening (I had told them I needed the car for the weekend to travel down to Lincoln to see my partner). Everything was fine and the car was back working which I was very relieved about. I then drove to Lincoln Saturday morning and on Sunday evening when I got in the car to drive home it started fine and then cut out again and won't start again. EXACTLY the same thing as last time.

What I need to know are my rights as I can't do without a car for another week (I have 2 other children who I have shared custody of who i need to take to school etc which was impossible last week as I can't walk anywhere due to being so heavily pregnant). I am also currently stranded in Lincoln with my vehicle (luckily I can stay at my partners barracks today).

Can I get the car towed to a garage in Lincoln and fixed here and then get the money back from the garage seeing as the car isn't fit for the purpose it was sold for? The whole point of buying this was for reliability and it has caused me so much stress I really can't stand this hanging over me. I am full term on Friday so baby could be born anytime !!!

Sorry for waffling on but I wanted to give the full picture. Any help or advice or consumer rights info (ie section 14 etc) you can give me would be greatly appreciated as the garage are very patronising to deal with at the best of times.

Thanks very much :) x