kitchen fitter - Poor workmanship

linda1505

Mar 4, 2012
Hi all,
I am hoping someone will be able to advise me.

we've recently had a new kitchen fitted and were initially very happy with the work. But in preparation for the floor tiling we were asked to remove the plinths. When we did we were shocked by the state of the floor underneath the units.

It looks like someone has got a binful of rubbish and emptied it under the units - bits of wood, electrical wires, screws, a plastic bottle, dirt dust, etc. Also the old tiles haven't been removed which they need to be for the new tiles to be fitted.

We have spoken to the fitter who has implied that this is 'normal' procedure and we wouldn't have known about it if we hadn't removed the plinths and basically we're making a fuss over nothing.

I would appreciate some advice here. Is this standard procedure are we within our rights to expect the 'hidden' areas to be left clean and tidy?

The atual installation work was good.

arthurpeers

Mar 5, 2012
[QUOTE=linda1505;31907

Hi Linda ,

I have been a Kitchen Fitter for 8 years and I cant understand why your fitter would leave all this rubbish under your units , basically this is just being lazy and not having any respect for your property.

The problem you have with the tiles is something that should have been discussed before any units were installed , i always ask what material will be used on the kitchen floor so i can cut the plinths to a suitable height , unfortunately its the small things in a kitchen installation that get highlighted and this takes the shine off what you say is a good installation.

I suggest you get the kitchen fitter back to remove tiles upto the base unit feet so you can fit your new tiles and remove all rubbish .

cheers
Arthur

linda1505

Mar 4, 2012
Thanks for your response arthurpeers

The fitter has come back and sorted the problem out including the tiles. He was very apologetic so we are happy now.