Avis Car Hire Con

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Just got from Portugal where I hired a small car. I was shocked to discover that Avis wanted to charge more than the cost of the rental for two plastic booster seats that cost about £10 each. Money saving tip - bring your own booster seats!!!

Paul Carcone

Facilitator
Jun 22, 2008
South Coast
www.carconeconsulting.com
I've just been ripped off by Hertz...they gave me a car with 3/8 of fuel and told me to bring it back with the same level. Of course, 3/8ths in pretty subjective and they#ve charged me £34.00

I'm in the process of complaining...but the lesson is never to accept the car when it's not fully fuelled.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
The other fuel trick they use is to sell you the tank and tell you to bring it back empty, again nearly impossible to do. I am not sure if anybody is still doing that as I haven't been offered it for a while.

Then there are all the insurances - personally I always go for the standard excess, but it is obviously part of the standard sales patter and a nice little money spinner to scare people into buying additional insurance.

Let us know how you get on Paul,

Tony

happywriter

Apr 25, 2009
I recently had a good experience from Hertz. I rented a van with a digital fuel meter, the van had a couple of small dents at the front. They gave me full insurance cover at no extra cost, and a discount for the little bit of extra fuel which I had left them. It was the cheapest quote for the rental also.