Expired Laptop warranty

P

paulhenry

Can anyone guide me here. I bought a Hewlett Packard laptop from Comet 14 months ago and the warranty expired 12 months ago. A serious hardware fault has occured which has meant that there is no power and the laptop needs a repair.

On investigation I have discovered that this is a common fault which appears to be a manufacturing defect. I have contacted HP and they have advised that there was a one time service warranty extension for this problem but my specific laptop model was not included. (apparently it has the wrong processor Intel not AMD)

Please could someone advise me on my consumer rights position with regards to persuing this with HP.

thank you

pkbl44

Dec 3, 2008
pursue it forever if you have to and do not let them break you.
Microsoft gave a free 3 year guarantee for the xbox 360 but only
cos people were sticking to their guns,
pursue , pursue , pursue it and do not let it slide.

Saxon68

Dec 9, 2008
heres the answer phone comets head office and ask to be put through to the directors office ask for Hugh Harvey the MD.

You womt get through i promise you this but if u hassle the directors secretary enough they get things done. there number 01482 587758 i think.

Christopher

Dec 17, 2008
grumpychris.com
Can anyone guide me here. I bought a Hewlett Packard laptop from Comet 14 months ago and the warranty expired 12 months ago. A serious hardware fault has occured which has meant that there is no power and the laptop needs a repair.

As others have said, be firm with Comet as they are responsible for ensuring that goods sold are of a sufficient quality to last a reasonable amount of time in working order (as per sale of goods and services act).

However, are you sure the warranty didn't run out 2 months ago, not 12? ;)

m_hoz84@yahoo.co.uk

Apr 29, 2009
this seem like my situation, 14 months old laptop broken down(2 months after warranty expired), please let me know how are you getting on with it, i am fighting for mine too.

nicknack

Jun 3, 2009
May I suggest that you take a look at hplies .com as it has lots of help and advice for people suffering this problem.

I too own an inherently defective HP dv9667ea with a faulty Nvidia 8600m GS. This is a huge problem which HP are effectively lying to cover up!

I am also trying to get my money back from my retailer. This seems the best bet since HP are replacing the faulty motherboard+GPUs with more fautly motherboards.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
How long do they last after they are replaced? Has anybody commissioned an engineers report to determine that they are faulty?

nicknack

Jun 3, 2009
I will be taking legal action against my retailer (under the sale of goods act - as it was inherently faulty at the time of purchase.) This means that I will need an engineers report to prove that that is the case.
It seems that if HP repair it, they do stick the dodgy GPUs in it, and this means that they generally last another 11-15 months or so. This seems to be an pretty average failing time.

What are your model numbers of HP laptops? And what graphics cards do they contain? May i suggest that you register them on hplies .com if they are HP models and fit the descriptions posted on the site.

ARK

Jan 9, 2010
I`v got similar problem with my hp pavilion dv 9500 (Nvidia 8600m Gs) bought it from comet 22 months ago. Four months ago it crash first time, since that time my laptop was three times in service, they already twice replaced motherboard.