dont buy from howdens

mark.

Mar 9, 2012
my 72 year old severely disabled mother bought a kitchen with her life savings from Howdens. She delt with them direct. 51 of 61 doors,drawer fronts,panels etc. and 9 of 19 carcases where faulty! FIRA, who awarded them agold award for excellence agreed. Also the customer service was disgraceful, at one point they asked her to "squeeze in the back of her car with seats down while we picked up items from them that they had forgoten to deliver. One item was a panel so long, it was the full lenght of car,resting on dash against windscreen. She asked for items to be included in the quote that they omitted and lied that she never asked for. The delivery man admitted that he had spilt his coffee on some of the items. Some of the staples on the back of the carcases where missing and howdens rep said that I should nail them myself. These are some of the complaints, not all, but the worst thing is she asked for a refund and they said she has no rights as they are trade only and and consumer rights dont apply.

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Hmmm not sure about that one, it's true that the Sale of Goods Act does not cover business to business transactions but your mum is a consumer and they still sold her the kitchen, I'm guessing she didn't go in their pretending to be a kitchen fitter?

Worktogether

Nov 29, 2012
If Howdens say that they are business to business only then they should not have taken your mother's money! They cannot wriggle out of their responsibilities by saying consumer rights don't apply.
We bought a kitchen from Howdens and we are just ordinary consumers, we did not buy it through a business, we paid on a personal credit card and it was delivered to our house, so how can they say they are b2b only! Nonsense.
I suggest going to Citizens Advice and seeing if they can help.
I think if you took them to court you would probably win.