COMET - Terrible extended warranty and customer service

lilakz

Mar 13, 2012
I bought a LG 50PG4000 Plasma TV on the 5th November 2008 along with 5 years extended warranty (insurance) for well over £1000.

At the beginning of January of this year 2012, the TV became faulty. I called Comet and asked for the TV to be repaired. An engineer came round to assess fault and advised Comet of the cost of the repair which was nearly the price of the TV at just under £1000, and advised Comet to pay out.

After several weeks and no contact from Comet, I called to chase up and was told Comet had opted to repair the TV. This was the beginning of my nightmare experience with Comet.

To cut a long story short, it has been over 2 months and there has been no progress. My TV is still in my front room faulty and considering the poor level of service I have received and the length of time this is taking, it is clearly evident that the parts in question cannot be obtained, although they claim they are still waiting for the parts. They are using these delay tactics to avoid paying out for the TV of which I have paid for in full including the extended warranty (insurance).

Throughout this period they have failed to keep me informed of the progress of this case and I have been forced to chase which is unacceptable. I have also sent letters to the complaints department and emailed the Comet directors to no avail. I have requested a full credit note for the value of the TV so I can replace the faulty item and a refund on the 5 years extended warranty which is not being honoured.

I am still awaiting an immediate resolution anything else I can do to force the issue, as this is unacceptable!

lilakz

Mar 13, 2012
They've finally come to pick up my TV, however I believe its just to shut me up and stop me from calling. I say that because I called Comet shortly after they pick up the TV and asked if the parts were in yet and how long it would take to repair, and the women on the phone couldn't answer either way.

I bet I'll spend the next 2 months chasing the actual repair now (that's if they even have the parts that is)....lets wait and see.

I've learnt a massive lesson from this all....NEVER SHOP AT COMET EVER AGAIN!!

Purpleheart

Apr 20, 2012
I've had similar problems recently with Comet.

I bought a 5yr extended warranty when I bought my LG flat screen, almost 5yrs ago. I reported multiple problems with this tv at the beginning of March 2012. First they did a diagnosis over the phone & told me they would send someone round with a part a week later. This is a pretty hit & miss process if you ask me! How can they be sure they have all the info they need from a brief phone conversation? They didn't even ask for a serial number. They called to cancel the day before the repair was to be done, saying they didn't have the part yet & would contact me when they did. Bit open ended that!

I had to call them 2wks later because I'd heard nothing, only to find they only logged one of the faults I'd reported & there was till no sign of this part. I was told someone would call back that day. No-one called.

I had to call back myself 3 days later, no sign of the part & their computer was still only showing one fault. I was told they would look into it after the part had been on order for 14 days & that would take 3 working days.

I had to call again but no-one knew the guy I'd spoken to. I was put through to an engineer who told me they should've sent someone out initially so I called Comet again to see if they could send out an engineer to do a proper diagnosis. I was told that to do that, they would have to cancel the part & start the whole process again!! Oh, & guess what? Their computer was till only showing one fault so had to explain it all again!

After many more conversations, a month later, a repair man came. Wrong part because they'd made a wrong diagnosis. He had to order a new part & would be in touch.

Two weeks after that, I called back I was put back to square one. No sign of this part so I asked them what they considered to be a reasonable time to have to wait for my tv to be repaired. I was told that it was a repair based policy & there wasn't a time limit so I pointed out that I could be waiting till Christmas!

I had limited use of the tv in the beginning but by this time I couldn't use it at all & they still couldn't tell me where this new part was. They told me I had to wait till today, 20th April before they looked into it further, 6wks from the day I reported the faults. Finally today, I called them & initially got more BS so I told them I'd had enough & would be starting an official complaint with the help of Trading Standards. That's the way I thought this would go BUT 15mins later, they called me to tell me they would be writing my tv off & replacing it!

Now I should be over the moon, I'm not usually a "glass half empty" sort of person but I have a feeling I may not get what I'm expecting! What I've written here is about half of this whole farce & I don't trust them at all. They said they will call me on Monday so we'll see! Whatever happens, I will never shop there again!

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
If only had a pound for every time I had read the word COMET on this site.

They are struggling financially, they are blaming global recession, I am blaming customer service.

trickygj

May 31, 2010
Cheshire
www.richardgjohnson.co.uk
Purpleheart

When things go wrong with items covered by the sale of Goods Act 1979 under section 48B(2)(a) If the buyer requires the seller to repair or replace the goods, the seller must repair or, as the case may be, replace the goods within a reasonable time but without causing significant inconvenience to the buyer.

Sectio 48(5) states

Any question as to what is a reasonable time or significant inconvenience is to be determined by reference to—

(a)the nature of the goods, and

(b)the purpose for which the goods were acquired.

If they don't act in a reasonable time they are in breach of contract and you could then take action to sort out the problem yourself and sue them for damages.

I would wait to see if the hold true to their promise of a new TV first though.