faulty car from car giant

Y141

Mar 17, 2012
I purchased a 2007 vauxhall astra from car giant over a year ago using a hired-purchase contract and a couple of weeks ago a warning light came on. I took the car to a vauxhall dealership to have a diagnostics test only to find out that the previous owner had a recall on the vehicle for the radiater but for some reason failed to take it back to get repaired and so the radiator has leaked water into the gearbox and i would have to pay £2,300 to get the radiator and gearbox replaced. I phoned Car Giant and they said its nothing to do with them as they had no idea that the car had a recall. I think this is very unfair as I have been making monthly payments for over a year now on a car that was only a matter of time before it broke down. I'm confused as to why car giant wouldnt do more thorough checks on cars that they are selling onto people and to what rights I have against them seeing as they have basically sold me a faulty car. Please help :(

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
If the hire purchase agreement is still ongoing, the finace company own the car and are therefore responsible.

I think the key point here is that the fault existed when you bought the car, if it was something that had worn since, you would probably have more of a battle on your hands.

You need to contact the finace company, tell them the car had a pre-existing fault and you wish it either to be repaired or that you will reject it and be seeking a refund of your payments.