Orange/iphone query

FozLC

Apr 1, 2012
Hi. Am wondering if anyone can help. I had an iphone 3GS on an orange pay monthly contract that was stolen. The police had to hang on to the phone to use as evidence as the robbery was serious/perpetrator had long record etc. After about a month, after being advised by the police that I could be waiting some time, I cancelled the monthly contract and told Orange the phone had been stolen. 2 months later I decided I couldn't live without an iphone and got an iphone 4 on a vodafone contract (the only one I could find at 16gb at that time). A couple months after THAT I stupidly lost that phone in a club. (It had neither insurance nor tracking on it- I know, I feel incredibly stupid) After stepping up my harassment of the police I finally got the iphone 3GS back after 6 months, with plans to put the vodafone sim into it. Of course this didn't work. Was advised by orange store to call 07973100150 to get orange to unblock the phone. What I wasn't told is that I can't seem to get through to talk to an actual human being without first entering my phone number. The phone number no longer exists so I'm at a total loss as to how to even get in touch with Orange about unblocking my phone? The guy in the store insisted that they couldn't do it there, although guy in Vodafone store said had it been blocked by them it would've been easy enough to unblock it using the IMEI number. The phone wasn't actually purchased from an Orange store but from an Apple store, so could they unblock it or does it have to be Orange? If anyone could help it would be much appreciated, this whole saga seems to never end!

FozLC

Apr 1, 2012
Quick update: got through to Orange and gave the IMEI number. Was told that the phone isn't locked to any network and that I need to get in touch with Vodafone as the sim should work no problem. As I've tried a PAYG Orange Sim in the phone I assume it's not blacklisted as that works fine. Therefore the phone MUST be locked to Orange? When I go in to Settings>General>About Orange UK 12.0 is listed as the Carrier. I'm not sure whether to trust the word of the customer services guy as he didn't seem to know what he was talking about...