Shop's refusal to accept return of pillows?

silvertabby

Apr 8, 2012
This is my first post and I am new to this Forum, so please bear with me!:confused:
But I am wanting to buy some new pillows, and it seems that it will be impossible to return them to any shop if unsuitable, because of "Health & Safety" reasons ... trouble is, I have bought several pillows over the past two years, and can not find one that is just "right" for me - I can not possibly know until I have tried to sleep on it ... and I now end up with about seven different pillows in my attic, all of them "wrong" for me.
What exacatly is the Law regarding returning pillows (or a mattress, for that matter) - bedding shops always seem to wriggle out of being able to take them back, no matter how unsuitable. Unless of course they are still in the sealed polythene bag !! which of course is impossible !!!
I do hope you can give me some really clear, firm advice to throw back at these unhelpful bedding shops. Some of the pillows I am thinking of buying are over £60 each, so I cannot afford to buy them, and then find I cannot use them also ! Please help! Thanks in advance.

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Hello,
The shops are correct here, whereby you cannot return pillows and mattresses for hygiene reasons, just as you wouldn't be able to return earrings.
However, there is a way to get around this: if you purchase the mattress by the description given to you by the seller, and this description turns out to be incorrect.
For example:
Salesperson: would like to buy 4 pillows designed for excellent neck comfort and one which do not go 'flat'
You: alrighty then.

And it later turns out that these pillows do hurt your neck and do go flat, you could return them for your refund.

Obviously when you go into the shop, explain the situation and tell them the pillows that did not work, and ask them which pillows would be best for you. Whatever they give you must then be right for you, if not, take them back on the basis that they were bought on the description given to you, for your problem, which they don't help.

This is the only way around it.
The shop may whine that they cannot resell, but that's their problem, not yours.

Hope this helps.

dorien

Aug 7, 2012
Dont know if you will ever get a refund here, the retailer holds all the power