Not as described

white cat

Apr 17, 2012
Hi all, any idea's where I stand on this one please.
Purchased a used car from main dealer, although it was of a different type than they sell new. We traded in a car/ cash and used their recommended finance.
Everything fine until recently when it broke down. We had purchased the extra cover and so it was towed back to where we bought it. The dealers said it had to go to another garage as they did not have diagnostic equipment for our car.
There were no problems and the car was fixed, when we went to pick it up we were told that the logbook description of the car did not match the dealerships description or the finance paperwork. The car we actually had was a much lesser variant engine and spec than we thought we owned
When the log book came in the post we gave it a cursory check and filed it away not noticing at the time of the problem.
So basically I should have noticed earlier, but feel the car was wrongly described by the garage at time of purchase and am unsure of what to do about it.

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
If the car is not what you thought you were sold, you should return to the garage and query this, you should perhaps research the price you paid against the description of the car and if you feel you have been charged a price for the higher specification car, you should be requesting a refund of the difference.

Obviously buying a used car gives you slightly different rights to buying a new one but even second hand cars should be as described and you are fortunate in that you have the spec of the car in writing on the finance agreement.

white cat

Apr 17, 2012
Thanks for reply Witch consumer, I have been doing some more checking and you are right, I will try to get some money back. Contacted the garage and they said they will try to sort out the problem ASAP.
Cheers

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
It's good news that they are willing to cooperate, don't forget to check with your insurance too, although I think these days they take the info straight from a database which gives them the correct model, you need to make sure you are covered for the car you have, given that they are so willing to squirm out of claims if any details are incorrect.