Purchasing a car which is not right

gkd_uk

May 6, 2008
Hi

What rights do consumers have who have purchased a 2nd has car and then realised that there is something wrong with it, which will cost a thousand or more to repair?

Is the consumer stuck?

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi GKD,

It is best to avoid the problems in the first place and I have written a useful guide to buying a second hand car for this purpose.

You have the same rights when buying a second hand car that you have when buying anything. However, with a second hand car it really depends whether the problems are reasonable for a car of its age, mileage and price. It also depends what the seller said about the vehicle and when the faults appeared.

I'll write a new detailed guide when I get a chance

Tony

Last edited:

gkd_uk

May 6, 2008
Thanks Tony

I believe there is a lot of confusion when it comes to purchasing a second hand car which has some faults.

temi

Premium Member
Apr 28, 2008
London
www.temi.co.uk
My neighbor just bout a second hand car on ebay, I told him that is not a good way to buy a car.... new he just found out that the engine is kaput, I am trying very hard not to say "I told you so"

Paul Carcone

Facilitator
Jun 22, 2008
South Coast
www.carconeconsulting.com
It is possible to obtain warranties on second hand cars (it costs around £500 for the year). It's worth asking your dealership whether or not they are prepared to include one or provide the service to you.

If they refuse, I wouldn't touch the car! I'd also NEVER buy an older car privately...it's really asking for trouble.

Paul Carcone

Reactions: Tony