New fireplace problem

AVC

Apr 21, 2012
In May last year we spent £4K on having our old fireplace knocked out and a new one installed with a wood burning stove. The plaster on the chimney breast was left to dry for two months before painting or lighting the stove. Two fires were lit over the summer period to 'cure' the stove.

In November we started to have regular fires but by the end of December noticed that the plaster had started to develop multiple cracks all over the surface. We contacted the fitter, who has a shop locally and reported the problem to one of the shop staff. Phone calls however, remained unreturned. We visited the shop, but the person responsible was never available.

At last, on 5th April the fitter made a visit to our house and agreed to cover the chimney breast with heat board and amend coving and skirting appropriately. We asked that he give us a date for the work to be carried out and he said he would get in touch.

Again however, phone calls go unreturned and when asking at the shop for a date were told nothing has been put in the diary to say any work will be done.

We feel we are being played with in that they have agreed to carry out repair, but will not commit to any date or details of when this will be done. This is supposedly a reputable company, and HETAS registered.

Not sure where to take this from now on.

trickygj

May 31, 2010
Cheshire
www.richardgjohnson.co.uk
AVC

Heat resisiting board doesn't sound right. I have a wood burning stove myself and I don't need that.

Under the Sales of Goods and Services Act there are implied terms:

s 4(5) goods will be reasonably fit for purpose
s13 the work will be carried out with reasonable skill and care
s14 if no time is specified the service will be carried out in a reasonable time

I would write to the shop pointing out your rights and informing them that if they fail to respond within a reasonable time you will instruct others to undertake the work and take them to the small claims court.

I would also get some advice regarding the proposed repair method as it does not sound right to me and I deal with building defects as a business.