fit for purpose???????

jane

Dec 4, 2008
hi
I could really do with some advice, I bought a dress from a high street store at the beginning of September 08, I have worn it 3 times and sent it for dry-cleaning last week as i wanted it freshening up for the xmas lbd season. I collected it on Saturday and the dress is ruined - the dry-cleaners have blamed the manufacturers. I have called the store and they said i have to get a report from the dry-cleaners (which i now have) and bring it back with proof of purchase (which i have) and they will send it off to head office. So tomorrow i will have to travel 50 miles back to the store to drop off my dress, does the fault lie with the store? should they replace it or refund me the cost (£130) tomorrow. what happens if 'head office' blame the dry-cleaners. I would be really grateful for any advice.

GlasgowGirl

Facilitator
Jul 22, 2008
Clearly somebody is at fault here, whether it's the store or the dry-cleaners. It sounds as if the shop might be prepared to accept responsibility, but I would have thought the fault would be with the dry-cleaners, unless they are claiming that the cleaning instructions on the dress were misleading? If the store does accept responsibility, then you are entitled to have your money back, because the goods were not fit for purpose: have a look here for info. I would also ask them to refund your travel costs from tomorrow, as you have incurred them in returning their faulty product.

If you have time, before you go it would be worth phoning Consumer Direct to ask their advice. Good luck.

jane

Dec 4, 2008
many thanks for your advice - i am waiting for a reply from the store!

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
I would be really interested to know the outcome of this. Dry cleaners are a major source of consumer complaints/disputes.