Garage refusing to accept responsibility!

Samantha Hocking

May 3, 2012
just over 6 months ago my car broke down, the local garage fixed the problem, and the costs came to over £2000. They had to replace the turbo, which they obtained from Ford and supplied me with. My husband paid for this on his credit card.

2 days ago the car broke down again and we have been told it is the turbo which has broken again. I contacted the garage and they are refusing to deal with this as it's the manufacturers part which has broken. They tell us we have to return the car to the local ford dealer from who they obtained the turbo for diagnostic checks but they refuse to take the car there (undrivable) and told us we can't tow it either. Neither they, or ford will collect the car, but apparently they say we have to hire a low loader to take the car to the ford dealer.

I'm dreading ford will say another part of the engine was faulty and caused the turbo to break or any excuse like that.

what are my rights here, do I have to do all the work returning the car etc? can the credit card do anything, or are the garage under obligation? etc etc....Thanks

Nov 23, 2011
Re: Garage giving a customer the 'run-around'!

There are many elements of Consumer Law which come into play here, but first is that the dealer where you had the work done (and which it seems supplied the part in question) carries the prime responsibility.
Most of (or all) the rest of what they told you is bull***t.

Credit Card companies carry a legally enforceable 'joint liability' so could possibly be sued instead of the supplier or used as a tool to get the money back from the supplier using a 'Chargeback'. Don't leave it too long before going to the Card company as there is a time limit on claims I believe.

Consumer Advice could probably provide clear concise guidance.