Fake DS's warning

Jorumian

Facilitator
Sep 1, 2008
Birkenhead
Counterfeit Nintendo DS consoles could be dangerous according to HM Revenues and Customs officers...

Beware exploding fake Nintendos, UK warned | News | TechRadar UK

It's particularly worrying as I guess the majority of users of the DS are young children. But that is always the problem with counterfeits and people who choose to buy these things perhaps don't understand the risks. Not to mention that if it does go wrong, then you have no chance of getting your money back or a replacement.

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Not by any means condoning this but it does sort of prove that DS's can be produced, shipped and marketed for less than half their retail value and obviously still make a profit for their producers?

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Not by any means condoning this but it does sort of prove that DS's can be produced, shipped and marketed for less than half their retail value and obviously still make a profit for their producers?
I believe what happens is the people who make these get paid about 7p an hour, so after work they go down the road and make them for someone else for more money or just sell the design secrets. They are saying the chargers are dangerous not the device itself, I guess it is made with exactly the same components. Must be a nightmare for Nintendo - I guess we will be seeing a more secure harder to copy model shortly.

Tony

Jorumian

Facilitator
Sep 1, 2008
Birkenhead
I wonder if eventually hardware will go the same way as software and that you will have to register it online for it to work properly... in much the same way Windows does now?

It sounds to me as though the cheaper copied versions problem with the power charger could be due mainly to the differences in electrical systems. I am guessing since they are built on a budget that they don't specifically build the machine to cope with the British electrical system. It's quite scary to think though that it could potentially burst into flame... My kids often charge theirs overnight or when we are out.