Carpet right or carpet wrong?

sean

Dec 5, 2008
Nottingham
A letter in which i sent to carpet right, including description of what happened? Could someone please advise as they are not forthcoming in their reply, Am I within my rights or not???

My Partner and I ordered and paid for in full for a carpet from the (carpet right) Nottingham store at castle meadow Retail Park on the 16/10/2008. It was to be delivered on the 3rd Dec 2008 on a morning time slot. This fitted in well with other work we were carrying out at the house. On the morning of delivery we noticed the underlay was different from what we purchased, the fitters confirmed this, what we had ordered was not in stock. I wasn’t happy with the fact that since we ordered in October no one had the decency to inform us by telephone or in writing that this was the case. I telephoned the store and spoke to Winston I informed him that I did not want the underlay that had arrived at the house, I wanted what I ordered, he informed me that this underlay cost more, but despite this I still wanted the underlay I ordered, if I wanted the more expensive underlay I would have bought it at the shop. I asked him when would the next delivery be in he told me he would check the warehouse and ring me back in 5 mins. 20 mins later Winston called me back and informed me that He would be able to get some in for Friday ready for fitting on Saturday, I told him this was not good enough as I have services coming to my house that I would now need to cancel. I then informed him that I was not happy with what was happening and that I would like to cancel my order. 1hr 30 mins later he then informed me that there was some available in Sheffield he could get it picked up and the carpet could still be fitted this afternoon. I informed him that this was not possible as the reason I requested a morning slot was due to work constraints in the afternoon. I was still not happy with the services or the help and would like to cancel my order. He then informed me it would not be as simple as that? He would have to contact customer services and speak with them and call me back. He called me back 15 mins later and said I could not cancel my order, I asked him to supply me with the customer services number and I would speak with them to put my side across. I have spoken to the customer services and they have asked me to write to you. I will now refer to the sales of goods and services act 1979, and the supply of goods and services act 1982 which states that traders must sell goods that are described (the underlay delivered was not clearly what I purchased, also no one informing us of this? How long did carpet right know it was the wrong underlay?

I am aware of my statutory rights and that the underlay which was delivered to my door does not conform exactly to what I purchased, therefore I have the right to reject the goods and demand a full refund, Just based on this I believe you are in breach of contract, There are a few things I am not happy about with regards this situation. Firstly that it took 2 months and on the day of the delivery before it was brought to the customer’s attention that what I had paid for wasn’t what I received, I was not happy with the responses over the telephone as to why this had happened, and also how to recover the situation. The fact that on the day they could find the right underlay in Sheffield, why was this not available to be placed on our order earlier and not be informed about this.

These issues cause me to distrust the carpet right company. I am not happy with the level of service I have received despite the amount of money spent. I wish to cancel my order and a refund for the amount of money paid to carpet right, £1471.80.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi Sean,

I am pretty sure that they will refund this as nobody is out of pocket, apart from the fitter I guess.

Tony

clevage

Dec 27, 2008
tricky 1.. iv bin in the carpet trade for 16 years now & come accros this only about 3 or 4 times... it has been measured correctly but nothing allowed for line up`s, normaly if it`s a big pattern i would exsplain 2 my customers & ask if ther willing 2 pay 4 much more carpet in order 2 line it up......
but on the other hand did you explain to them you wanted it all to line up and would you be prepared 2 pay for the extra carpet required..
suppose if you was cumming in to see me id meet you half way on extra casts involved, but it`s each to ther own, good luck

Last edited by a moderator:

cjmarcantonio

Jan 20, 2009
Yeh mate... all the best with it. A friend of mine experienced something similar, he was lucky he got what he wanted out of it.

kokni001

Feb 17, 2011
Beds from Carpetright

Here is a copy of a complaint letter sent to Carpetright 2 months ago (Dec 2010). It is self explanatory. I have yet to receive a reply. Appalling Customer Service, dont you think?

To : Lord Harris of Peckham (Chairman & CEO)
Carpetright PLC, Harris House
Purfleet Bypass, Purfleet
Essex RM 19 1TT

STRICTLY PERSONAL & CONFIDENTIAL

Dear Lord Harris,

I am taking the highly unusual step of writing to you directly because I have a formal complaint about the manner in which I have been treated by your company over the past few weeks. Let me outline below the sequence of events.

Last month I placed an order for over £2000 worth of carpets at your xxxx store and a fitting date was duly agreed for a fitter to attend our house on Wed 1/12/2010. This date was arranged about 2- 3 weeks prior to the aforementioned delivery date and a note was made in a book at the store. My wife had previously arranged to take the day off work, but at 6.15pm the evening before (30/11/10) I received a phone call at home from the store stating the carpets had not arrived and the store could not tell me when my carpets would be fitted!. I explained it was far too late to cancel my wife’s leave for 1/12/2010, she was unable to take more time off work and furthermore I had all my house items in storage (because we had just decorated our house and carpets were being fitted on 1/12/2010). I explained to your store manager I would be forced to pay the storage company additional monies for storing my items to a later date. My carpets were eventually fitted on Sun 5/12/2010.

On 21/11/2010 we ordered 3 beds totalling over £1700 from your xxxxx Carpetright Store and paid for these in full that same day. We were told delivery would be within 3 weeks and the company delivering the beds would contact us to arrange a delivery date within this time scale. As I heard nothing from Carpetright or the bed delivery company, I started making enquiries at your xxxx store and over a period of over a week in early/mid December 2010, I went backwards and forwards to that store with my wife 5 or 6 times to ascertain when our beds would be delivered to us. This was no easy task as I work in London and had to leave work around 4pm to be at your xxxx store. By this time I was getting anxious because my elderly 82 year old mother in law who lives on her own, was coming to stay with us from 24/12/10 and with Christmas fast approaching I still had no delivery date for my beds. Between Carpetright and the bed delivery company (Ventura?) numerous phone calls were made to chase up my order without any success.

Your xxxx Store Manager spoke to my wife at work to explain there was a problem with one of our beds, but he could deliver the bed to us if we were prepared to accept the shop soiled display bed (as opposed to a brand new bed) minus the headboard. My wife did not really want a shop soiled bed, but as we were keen to get our beds we agreed to this reluctantly and a delivery date was duly arranged for 18/12/2010. At 3pm that afternoon we got a call from your store to say the bed could not be delivered that day because it had just started snowing and the delivery driver was not prepared to bring our bed in the snow. Our house is less than 2 miles from your xxxx Store. I explained to your xxxx store employee the very same day (18/12/10) we were also having our blinds fitted for the whole house and the blind fitter had driven to our house in the same snow all the way from xxxx which is nearly 25 miles from our house, so there was little excuse for my bed not to be delivered from a couple of miles away. In any case, the store could have quite easily delivered my bed that morning when it was not snowing. My wife was subsequently contacted at work to say the bed delivery was now rearranged to Tues 21/12/2010. This was not a convenient date for either me (I had just taken 3 ½ weeks off work whilst our house was being decorated) and my wife had a prearranged meeting with a work colleague. We asked your xxxx store for an evening delivery, but were threatened with having either the Tuesday 21/12/2010 delivery or no bed till after Christmas. Faced with this ultimatum, we were left with little option but to take the delivery date given and as a result my wife had to take more time off work that day. As soon as your xxxx store gave me the above delivery date, I arranged with my local council for my old beds to be taken away which they did within 2 days. As our bed was not delivered until 21/12/2010, we were left with sleeping on the floor during the recent freezing weather.

The first telephone contact I received from anyone at Ventura was around 6.30pm on 17/12/2010 when we were told the remaining 2 beds and 3 headboards will be delivered on Thurs 23/12/2010. Again we requested an evening delivery, but were told this was not possible and if we did not take that delivery date then we would not get our beds until after the new year. I explained to the Ventura employee all the problems we had previously encountered with Carpetright thus far and to please make sure their delivery did take place as arranged. I was assured of this at the time. My wife booked yet another day off work for 23/12/2010. This was the 3rd day off work in 3 weeks. But guess what? True to form we got another call from Ventura saying the 2 beds plus 3 headboards would not now be delivered on 23/12/10 and they could not tell me when these would be delivered! By now I was predictably absolutely furious as my 82 year old mother in law was coming to stay with us on 24/12/2010 and I had no bed for her to sleep on. My wife was very upset and still cannot stop crying at what we have been put through over the past weeks.Between Carpetright and Ventura me and my wife will now have a dismal Christmas holiday during what should otherwise be a happy and joyous period. We will NEVER shop at Carpetright again in view of all the problems we have had both with our Carpets and the Bed orders. Enough is enough.

I am writing to ask you to investigate all the issues raised in this letter pertaining to Carpetright and Ventura and to personally respond back to me. At the very least I would like a written apology for the distress and the inconvenience caused to both me and my wife. We now wish we had never gone to your store.

I apologise for the length of my letter to you, Lord Harris, but the fact I am writing to you just one day before Christmas should be ample evidence for you about my anger, frustration and disappointment with both organisations stated above. This is no way to treat your customers.

I look forward to hearing from you very shortly.

Yours Sincerely,

xxxxxx

AaronF

Jan 9, 2013
There are definitely other carpet companies out there that offer better service.

If I were you, I'd go for an small, independent business- in my experience, these types of companies always offer the best service!

hhawksworth

Jun 10, 2013
I always use carpet right if renovating my home. For me they always provide a great service all round. Maybe it could be certain locations.

MichaelCNichols

Jul 6, 2016
Thanks for the post, guys. I've been thinking of contacting carpet right. But with this, I might have to find another company.

DeliaEJames

Jul 13, 2016
I agree with hhawskworth. I've used carpet right's service a few months back and their work was excellent. The team who did the job was amazing. I'm pretty sure, the problem all boils down to the workers assigned to you. or perhaps, in certain locations they do crappy work?

KathrynMBuchanan

Jul 13, 2016
I’ve had a pretty bad experience with this company. Their customer service is terrible. I wouldn’t recommend them either.