Crack in new double glazing

dmt

May 18, 2012
I have recently had double glazing installed by a local tradesman. He did a very good job and all appeared well. However a few hours after he left a hairline crack appeared in one of the inside panes. My wife heard it go as she sat down to watch TV. I phoned the tradesman who came later that evening and he said it would not be a problem for him to replace. The next day he dropped off the invoice for the work. Am I obliged to pay in full or can I withhold some of the payment until he returns to replace the glass?

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
You should pay in full but if he's a decent tradesman he will be back to put it right or be happy for you to withhold part payment. What are his terms I.e. how long before you have to pay?

Stephanie Kays

May 28, 2012
I've just come across the website myglass.org.uk from the Double Glazing Ombudsman Scheme and wondered if anyone has had first hand experience of using them? There seem to be some useful reviews on companies that people have used before on the review section of the site and they seem to offer extra protection because of the scheme. I'm quite keen to use them but would love to get some feedback from someone who has maybe already used them to find their installer or used an installer from this scheme. Thanks

dsmith10

May 31, 2012
I would personally hold off the payment to the glazier until he fixes the window. At the end of the day you are paying for the glazing work and if there is a crack this needs fixing before he gets paid. However I suppose it all comes down to how much you trust him. Does he seem trust worthy? The last thing you want though is too pay him and never see the guy again...leaving you to foot the bill.