Breach of contract on flight booking?

Espanglish

May 23, 2012
I booked a flight 7 days ago and received a confirmation although money was not taken (offer to treat accepted?) After a couple of days I had not received e-ticket and rang to query. I was informed everything was ok and being processed. After 5 days I attempted to check booking status using booking reference online and it was not recognised. On day 7 I rang again and left my number to discuss status. They rang my wife back on a different number and told her the tickets were not available at the agreed price and offered her another flight for £85 more.

When I challenged them to honour the contract I was told they tried to ring me on day 2 (before I rang on day 3 and was told the booking was progressing) to tell me the flight could not be booked. They had no answer for why if their was no answer to a call they didn't text, email or leave a message.

My contention is that A- they have not honoured a contract and B - their failure to contact me has caused me to wait extra days to book a flight during which time costs have risen.

What if any are my rights? (no money was taken even though my bank details were requested)