deposited and its been 2 weeks full of excuses

zeechaudhry

May 23, 2012
Hi, I recently bought a used 52reg BMW 318Ci from a finance company in Midlands, the car was in a excellent condition and they offered me 3 months service, parts and labour warranty. The car wasn't taxed and they offered to get it sorted for me, while I agreed to pay for it. I decided not to finance the car cause I could afford paying in full. The sales agent agreed with my offer and I paid a deposit of £500 and with mutual understanding between both we decided that I'd pick the car in 2 days after they have taxed it and in the meantime i'd sort the insurance.

A day later I was trying to get quotes online but it failed, I called a few insurance companies and they told me the car wasn't in the DVLA's database and so they couldn't help providing me a quote. I called the dealer and found that the car had a 'Private Registration Plate' on it and the previous owner might haven't transferred it. They told me to insure it with the Private Number plate while it transfers and so I did. As its my 1st year of driving license and so my premium is high. I paid £500 deposit and my monthly instalment is about £250/month.

Next day just before I left home to pickup the car, I called the sales agent to find if the car is ready for me in his response he apologised to me and told me that the previous owner of the car was disabled and held a disabled tax disc and so they couldn't acquire a new tax disc from postoffice. He told me it might take a day or two at most getting it sorted with DVLA. It was end of the week and so I waited 4 days before I called him again. This time I was again told it might take a couple more days as the documents has been sent to DVLA in Swansea and now they are waiting for them to be returned. Now its been 2 weeks I am listening to the very same excuse everyday. Sometimes they say its the taxdisk and sometimes they say its the V5 they have been waiting for, and sometimes they say that DVLA has posted the documents to the previous owner and that chap isn't cooperating.

I had 14 days period to cancel my insurance however I will still be paying them for the days its been insured for. I discussed with the dealer and asked him if its going to take longer and so I'd cancel my insurance but he said no the documents are almost sorted. Now if I cancel the insurance I'll be paying atleast £100 + £30 admin fee. Yet I haven't driven the car nor I am sure how many more days its going to take for them to sort the documentation work.

I've spend atleast about £180 on taxis as well. I asked them for a replacement car and they did offer me a Ford Mondeo but they told me the insurance will be paid by me, to which i didn't agree as the insurance company who I am with said the insurance policy will need to be cancelled and renewed which will be subject to £30 admin fee + deduction for the number of days previous car is been insured. I did try to connivence the car dealer to pay the insurance on the Mondeo themselves but they refused. All they have to offer me is free service for the whole year now instead of 3 months; which I don't think would do any justice to me.

I am really very frustrated as I have missed a few very important meetings and events and I am extremely very upset of all this. Now the sales agent just told me that he is going away on a holiday for a week and gave me his bosses number. Please tell me what options do I have now as a consumer; which authority do I need to contact for help. I want them to pay penalty for misleading me all throughout.

Many thanks for reading and advance thanks for your advice.