Known manufacturing faults and rights out of warranty

Bluesman

May 30, 2012
I think I may know the answer to this but I would appreciate some advice/compensation.

About 2 years ago I purchased a TV from a well known store and it came with the usual 12 month warranty.

When using it, I noticed that whenever using an HDMI device, after about 5 minutes the TV would automatically switch back to the scart port, meaning that I had to change back to the appropriate HDMI port, which from then on worked OK until the next time that I would use it.

This was a consistent problem that happened every single time.

Although a minor but slightly frustrating niggle, I decided to live with it and hoped that perhaps a future firmware update would resolve it.

No firmware update was released at any time from the vendor responsible for this model's support.

I checked through their website on occasion to check and to read all the faqs about known issues and resolutions etc.

Today I decided to mail the support company to ask if there was a firmware update to resolve my problem and after they asked me to confirm a few things to validate my fault, they stated that there was a known issue with this TV but as it was out of warranty, they wanted payment to resolve the issue.

Now I fully accept that I should have reported the fault within the warranty period in order for it to be repaired/replaced free of charge, which may well invalidate any rights that I may have but it did prompt one thought in my mind.

If there was a known manufacturing issue that resulted in models being sold with a known fault, should there have not been some kind of automatic recall to alert customers to the issue so that it could rectified as a matter of course, rather than waiting for customers to report already known issues?

So I guess bottom line is have I essentially cooked my own goose or are there rights for known original manufacturing faults that have not be openly stated by the manufacturer and perhaps give rights out of warranty?

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Any manufacturers warranty is in addition to your statutory rights under SOGA, goods must be free from fault to satisfy SOGA and 2 years is not considered the 'lifespan' of a TV, even if the fault is minor, the fact that they are aware it exists means they should carry out the repair to make the TV of satisfactory quality and fit for purpose.