Help. Bad decorator.

Skippy

Jun 3, 2012
Hi, I employed the services of my friends ex boyfriend to decorate a three bed house and do some odd jobs for me. He started the job in January and was asked to have it all finished by March, which he agreed. He was given money as he was getting on with the jobs, and everything seemed to be going ok. But he kept leaving our job and doing jobs for other people, then we extended the deadline to April and then May. He kept asking for money in quite large amounts, we were paying him. But then one week we went in and he hadn't done any work, but was still asking for several hundreds of pounds.
We told him that we were not going to pay anymore money till we saw some more work done. He got annoyed and walked off the job.
Now we have found that the brick wall that he built for us is wobbly and he has been promising for two weeks to come back and fix it but he hasn't yet!

Can i have all the work finished by a professional (as this person is clearly not) and take him to small claims court to recover costs?

We didn't have a written agreement, but all the texts he has sent clearly proves, what was happening.

Thanks for any help.