Plastic Park furniture

hannelie

Jun 12, 2012
Hi

We recently purchased several hard recycled plastic park benches and picnic tables. They are for public use in a public park, and that has been made clear to the supplier right from the start.

However, shortly (within a week) after it was delivered in late April, we noticed that the seats on the picnic tables were bowing. The plastic coating also seemed to bubble and it gave a 'scratched' appearance (although it hasn't been scratched). At that point we decided to withhold payment. We noticed that one table did not have support bars underneath, which were made good by the supplier. However, the support bars have started to come away from the seats on all the seats bar one, I think. When the supplier's engineers were on site to fix support bars and investigate our complaint, one of them mentioned in passing that they were made with 38mm plastic instead of the usual 50mm. That probably explains the sagging, but of course we don't have that in writing!

The supplier have been abusive right from the first complaint, accusing us first of dragging the benches across tarmac (to explain the scratching), and now of jumping on the benches.

I would be grateful if anyone can advise us where we stand on this issue. Personally I do not want to accept anything from this supplier as I feel their products are sub-standard, but I suspect we may have to accept the benches that are not faulty.

As an aside, there have been similar plastic furniture in place on the park for at least ten years, with no sign of sagging.

Thanks in advance.