debit card chargeback against paypal

Babydoll79

Jun 12, 2012
My husband purchased a game code for an online game and made payment through paypal with our debit card. We have since found out that the game code was originally purchased using a stolen credit card and the code was deactivated (so no longer of use to him). Paypal have sided with the seller saying the item is intangeable and will not offer refund. As payment was made with our debit card can we go to our bank and ask for visa debit chargeback?

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
This is very interesting to me as my own son ha a similar problem with Paypal but in entirely the opposite direction, he sold a code which was purchased from him with a stolen credit card so they recovered the money out of his bank account without notice, buyer, seller? how do they decide who wins?

Babydoll79

Jun 12, 2012
not entirely sure how they make their decisions. I would imagine that if a credit card is used fraudulently they will go straight to the person that received the payments to retreive the money (which will be whats happened to your son). when we contacted paypal they sided with the seller saying that the item was intangeable because it was a digital game code, not something i have ever came across and will not be using paypal for these type of items again as i had no idea they weren't covered by the buyer protection :( just unsure now if i will be able to process a chargeback through my bank for the payment as we have paid for the item and it is unusable :mad: