Urgent help pls - car bought 48 hours ago

Laura721

Jun 14, 2012
Urgent help needed please

Bought a car 48 hours ago from a car dealer (not private seller). fiat punto, £1700.

Test drove, no problems, yesterday start hearing a noise and garage today tells me the gearbox is finished. Cost almost £800.

We have called the dealer who tells us it isnt his problem as we didnt pay for his "3 month warranty offer". He will not give us our money back or even pay for repair. He is telling us he may consider sharing cost of repairing but with second hand gearbox.

Do we have any rights here? He claims we do not as the car was under £2000 so is considered scrap - please anyone can you advise on this?

Thank you.

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Even 2nd hand, a car has to be fit for purpose, without a gearbox I suspect it is not. Given the reputation of 2nd hand car dealers (not always deserved) I would suggest going straight to Consumer Direct (No at the top of the page)

Laura721

Jun 14, 2012
Thank you,

Btw what about his idea that we didnt accept his warranty offer and that we dnt have rights as cars under 2000 are considered scrap?

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Warranties are in addition to your statutory rights and although these are slightly different for 2nd hand cars bought from a dealer as opposed to a new car, the lack of warranty makes no difference.

If you have a invoice for the car which clearly says "SOLD FOR SCRAP" then he could have a case, if not you have bought a car for the purpose of driving it and it's condition should match the price, £2k is not a small amount of money in my book.