At wits end with Peugeot

Beebum2285

Jun 21, 2012
Hello everyone hopefully somebody can help!

I bought a brand new 207 in November 2010 on finance from a peugeot dealership. In Jan 2012 it began juddering in 4th and 5th gears at one point it got so bad I was limited to 27mph in a national limit limping to work. I booked it into a peugeot garage the day it first started but they couldn't find a fault, neither could the AA man who came to look at it the day I limped to work. ]

On the second occasion I called the AA I was lead to a nearby peugeot approved garage who after updating software and test driving it also found no fault until I drove it with a technician beside me. They contacted peugeot technical to see what should be done and they re-programmed injectors and then when it still juddered they changed the tappets. The problem was intermittent so it was a wait-and -see repair at best because peugeot really weren't sure what to do but it started again. I was then asked to write down mileages when the car did it so they could investigate the log further - no fault was being logged by the car. I did this and peugeot decided it was the cylinder head that needed replacing but when the garage took the old one off they discovered the pistons were damaged and peugeot now want to put a new engine in the car after nearly 6 months of phone calls and garage visits.

I haven't always been offered or been able to have a hire car but the work is being done under warranty. Recently I even discovered that the garage can collect the car from work! I just feel like this is an unreasonable amount of time for a solution, aside form spending nearly 6 months worrying that my car might break every time I got in it, and I have had to make many phone calls and take car to garage all during my own working hours. I wrote to the garage that sold it to me and the finance company to complain and ask that the agreement be cancelled, the car returned and I requested a refund although I know its unlikely I will get anything from them. I was told by the sales manager that legally they are covered by the warranty and that I have not incurred any major costs, have been kept mobile and have not been caused inconvenience so it is unlikely that rejection of the car will be accepted and I should have the new engine and look at trading the car for something else even though I would likely have to put about £1000 extra down to keep my payment the same.

Can anyone tell me if after the 6 months of unsuccessful repairs whether I can reject the car even though they propose to put a new engine in it? I really have just had enough and doubt I will ever feel safe in the car again.

trickygj

May 31, 2010
Cheshire
www.richardgjohnson.co.uk
I don't think yo will get anywhere with the rejecting the car. It ran fine for 13/14 months before any problem and in order to reject it this would have to happen very soon after purchase (weeks)

The repairs have been undertaken free of charge.

You generally don't get compensated for worry. You should however be compensated for out of pocket expenses such as travel etc.

If it is just out of pocket expenses I would have thought that it would be in the garages best interests to not argue on this point.