internet selling advertising 7 day rule?

hallega

Dec 8, 2008
I was recently contacted by an advertiser offering an line service, a rep called and basically I signed up after two hours of selling, I was sent an email to confirm that I understood what I was buying and I sent an e-mail back confirming the order. This was on the 5th Nov, on the 11th I sent an e-mail saying that I didn't want the advert after all, I also put this in writing and by telephone call. I was informed that it would take 30 days to get my money back, £350.00, I cancelled the standing orders that were set up and waited for my money back. Tonight at 7.10pm a rep rang and asked why I didn't want it anymore, I told him I'd changed my mind after finding adverse reports on the internet regarding their company, he then said that i had taken too long to cancel, which I denied and he also said that they would take 20%, and that I was aware of this fact, which I'm not. I've told him to ring again tomorrow in office hours and that I cannot answer his questions about whom I spoke to at head office at 7 o'clock at night. I need help please with this, I cannot afford to loose this money, business is tight as it is. Many thanks in anticipation of good advice.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi Hallega,

I am assuming that this is a business-to-business transactions. Unfortunately, this type of transaction is not covered by the Distance Selling Regulations which would give you a seven day cooling off period. This is getting into contract law and it is difficult for me to advice - you need to read the contract very carefully. It sounds like there has been an offer and acceptance so a contract has been formed. I am guessing that the paperwork will confirm the 20% cancellation charge. Who was the company and what were the bad reports?

Let us know hoe you get on?

Best regards,

Tony

hallega

Dec 8, 2008
Many thanks for your prompt reply. This firm is Touch Local, we were the 1st customer of this new rep, he wasn't sure what was what and neither were we unfortunately. He was in a hurry to get to his next client which was at least 20 mins away and it was all a bit rushed, (repent at leisure comes to mind)! There contract is very one sided on reading it all now, 20% of the full fee of £870. 00 is due on cancellation, I can ill afford to throw this money away. I did a search on touch local after the rep had gone and got very bad vibes from dissatisfied customers, don't know what to say to this geek when he rings today, he was very forceful.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
I have a free listing on TouchLocal and it brings let me see - no traffic. The most effective way of advertising on the web is to use Google Adwords for immediate results, especially if you have a product or service to sell - you can get vouchers for a free trial - there might be some here I'll check. All that money you are paying is for commission...

Anyway, did you manage to get your money back?

Tony