Refund

divella

Jun 30, 2012
Mattress - same but different

Hi, I purchased a new mattress the other day and when it was delivered a few days later the quality was nothing like the one in the showroom, it was alot firmer. I returned to the shop and he said there was nothing he could do as it was the same mattress. He offered to give us the one in the showroom and we said we would do this. This has not yet been delivered. Having slept on this I decided I did not want the one in the showroom because of the use it had had so I phoned to tell him and ask for a full refund as there was nothing else in the shop suitable but he has totally refused. Would anyone know what my rights are on this. I am unemployed and have saved ages for this mattress which I need because I have a bad back. I would be really grateful if there is anyone that can help me. I can't use this mattress because it is too hard and I can't afford to replace it. PLEASE HELP. Many thanks. Divella

Last edited:

divella

Jun 30, 2012
Thanks for your reply. I get the impression that I am going to have a job getting a refund. I will probably end up backing down and keeping a mattress I can't use. I just can't handle the stress. Thank you for your advice it's appreciated.

divella

Jun 30, 2012
I have tried that. Have also tried a feather topper. I have spent a small fortune on mattresses and toppers in the last 3 years since my problem started that is why I was so careful to get it right this time. All I want is my money back so that I can get one that I can sleep on. Is that too much to ask. All the shop says is that they ordered it in specially..... It's not that I have changed my mind but the mattress I have got now is NOT of the same quality as the one in the showroom. We went back to the shop the day the mattress was delivered to compare it with the shop model because they have you doubting yourself but it is just not the same. Just by pressing down on the mattress there is hardly any give. I know I will be in pain if I sleep on it.

divella

Jun 30, 2012
Why am I being made to feel that I am in the wrong here. I was more than happy to keep my mattress had it have been the same as the display one. All I want is a new, unused mattress that is suitable for my needs. Which is what I thought I had purchased. Surely that is my right. It seems that the retailer has all the rights and the customer has none. Over the last few years since my problem started I have purchased several mattresses and toppers and which has been costly. I am again beeing pressured into keeping a mattress that is unsuitable for my needs. I am told to give it time to soften but if I do this and it doesn't I will not be able to return it as the shop does not have a returns policy and I will definitely not be able to ask for a refund. We went to the shop the same day as ours was delivered to make sure that our was different quality to the display model because we were being made to doubt ourselves, but there was not comparison between the 2. Even just pressing on it you could tell. The shop said that it was the same and he had ordered it in specially and totally refused a refund. I have not slept on my new mattress it is still wrapped up. All I want is a refund to enable me to get a NEW mattress that I am able to use. There are no other mattresses in the shop that suits my needs. I am unemnployed due to ill health and can ill afford to loose this money due to my financial circumstances. Its going to be ages before I can afford to get another one. I am not in the wrong here but it seems I have no rights. This is wrong.

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Have you asked if they will swap it for the one they have in the shop, I understand that this is a demo mattress but if it would solve all your sleeping problems then surely it's worth considering?

divella

Jun 30, 2012
Re: Refund - resolved

My husband phoned the shop we purchased the mattress from today to ask if we could exchange ours for the mattress in the showroom and the person he spoke to (he was not the man I had spoke to) strongly recommended that we did not do that as the showroom model was 6 months old. He recommended that we keep the one we have and give it 20/30 days, and the mattress should soften. Left with no other option we have decided to do this. The only problem here is that if the mattress does not soften then we are stuck with it as they do not accept used mattresses back, so there will be no chance of geting a refund. We have no option but to keep the one we have really. Am I happy about this, no not really. As they say 'money talks' so we have no voice to be heard.

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
What you need is his suggestion in writing, then you will have comeback if the mattress does not improve over that period, an email would suffice if you could get him to confirm his suggestion.

divella

Jun 30, 2012
Thanks for your suggestion. I will trying asking them but I have an idea they will not go along with it because of their no returns policy, but I will try. Will let you know how I get on. I'm not holding my breath though.