Car Insurance Claim

ben_harmer32

Jul 2, 2012
Hi all,

I was wandering if you could help.

I was involved in an accident in November last year.

I had picked my son up from school and was heading home. Approaching a junction to turn left i saw a coach making a right turn into the road i was on. The road is very narrow and i new i could not continue, so i pulled as cose to the kurb as i could to wait for the coach to complete it's turn. Unfortunatly due to the tightness of the road the coach came into contact with my car on the right hand rear quarter.

The coach stopped and we exchanged details. I was approached by a gentlemen who lives in my road, who's child goes to the same school as mine, saying that he had seen what had happened and was happy to be a witness.

I returned home, contacted my insurence company on there advice i informed the police (even though no one was injured), and asked the getlemen in my road for a witness statement.

He provided one and i sent it to my insurence company, along with the coach company's details so they could sort everything out.

The weeks went by and i became frustrated so i contacted my insurence who advised they had had no response from the coach company.

Another week and evetually the coach company wrote back stating that wanted an engineer to survey the damage, they sent one out, as did my insurence company.

Another week and nothing....

I phone my insurence company again and they state that the coach company was refusing to tke liability for the accident and had stated that the witness sttement was false as my son went to the same school as the witnesses daughter, meaning that i know him??

They then advised me to claim off my own insurence, get my car repaired and then it would be easier to chase up the coach company.

So i id this, had my car repaired, paid my excess.

Now it is July, my insurence company is still chasing the coach company but getting no response apart from that the accident was my fault!!

I am at a loss as to what to do?

I am worried that my insurence will need to be renewed soon and this claim is in my name.

Can someone please advice?

Many thanks

Ben

T.C

Jan 5, 2011
Hi Ben.

Although I do not deal with damage only crashes, I do come across this type of situation on a regular basis.

What you need to do is get onto your insurers and instruct them to issue proceedings against the coach operators.

In damage only crashes, the statute of limitations is 5 years (3 years in personal injury) which means that you have 5 years from the date of the crash to take the third party to court.

Once proceedings are issued, this will certainly get the coach operator and/or their insurers attention because they know that if it gets to court they will not only be found liable and have judgement against them, but they are also going to be liable for substantial increased costs.

If your insurers choose not to take action, then you will need to contact the insurance ombudsman