Expectation of durability: broken hob stand?

mkilpatr

Jul 4, 2012
Hello all,

imagine how livid I was when I dropped the cast iron pan stand from one of the rings of the Whirlpool AKT466/NB gas hob, onto the cushioned lino kitchen floor, only to have it break in two!

Needless to say it's now out of warranty by 6 months.

The question is, under the Sales of Goods Act, should I not expect a detachable part such as one of the pan stands, to be sufficiently durable, given that it is intentionally detachable for cleaning, etc?

It's quite obscene that a replacement, which is just a lump of cheaply cast iron (probably made in a sweatshop in Asia) is listed at £50.99!! If I had to replace all four, that would be 58% of the original price of the hob!

Should I not be entitled to expect the pan stand to withstand a fall from kitchen surface height onto a cushioned lino floor?

Michael

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
I don't think the question is to really doubt the durability post-drop, the question should be really if it's reasonably expected to be dropped in the first place..

mkilpatr

Jul 4, 2012
Something which is detachable (or even in this case, loosely placed on top and never attached in the first place) and is expected to be removed regularly for cleaning, can, I say, reasonably be expected to be dropped from a height equivalent to a typical kitchen surface. In the same way that a television remote control can be reasonably expected to be dropped regularly from the height of the arm of a chair or a coffee table.

Michael

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
I agree with Adam, this would be classed as accidental damage, I suppose you have an excess on your home insurance that would prevent you from claiming?

I would interpret durable in this case to withstand heat or the weight of pots/pans placed upon it during its normal use.

mkilpatr

Jul 4, 2012
So what you are saying in effect is that there is no onus on *any* manufacturer of *anything* mobile to make it withstand any sort of dropping whatsoever? That goes for TV remote controls, pan stands, torches, keys, mobile phones? Any device that gets moved around on a regular basis either as part of its use or part of its cleaning routine?

It clearly doesn't go for CD players because they are intended to sit in/on a piece of furniture, but that's an entirely different class of product.

Michael

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Michael, you asked about hob plates, it is not reasonably expected for one to be dropped, just like it would not be reasonably foreseeable for a microwave to be dropped when picked up for cleaning underneath.

It's all about reasonable foreseeability, and a hob plate isnt there to be dropped, it's to be used to support pans etc.

Sorry it's not the new you wanted.

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
To confirm, the Sale of Goods Act makes no provision for mis-use, accidental damage or use for any purpose other than intended. If the stand had shattered on the hob, you would have redress, in this case you haven't.

I also think you will find the same applies to any other item damaged by dropping, certainly a mobile phone wouldn't be replaced by such damage, unless it was through insurance.