Vodafone "Contract" Woes

Conanman

Jul 5, 2012
Hi, this is my first post, so please bear with me.

about 18 months ago I upgraded my phone with vodafone - this was after many years of sim only - the phone I got was probably the worst handset on their lists but I had been given a phone from work (read: made to carry a on call pocket brick) and I simply wanted a call only handset (my old phone was a brick too you see). I didn't want to pay any money at all and I figured for the same money as sim free they would enable me to have a free handset for a commitment of 24 months. Actually I only think it was 18 months I have no idea really they never told me. But I was nearing the end of the contract.

Since I was nearing the end of my contract (next month) and I decided to upgrade my phone, to a samsung iphone clone in fact I had only recently bought a vodafone sure signal, (because the vodafone signal where I live and work is beyond atrocious.) which cost me £50.

I was told that to move to 02 with my number would mean I would be terminating my contract early and they then said I could not "downgrade" my options to the minimum of £10 a month (for 55 days!) and not only that they would not be issuing a new number to me and citing me an on the spot fine of about £40 for cancelling my contract early.

I said "where is this contract show me where I have signed" and they have not done anything other than get people in India to spam me emails offering nothing but rambling nonsense that is off topic.

I just bought a sure signal - I want to have the use of it as far as I am concerned they are reneging on MY contract with them by not simply altering the number and downgrading my new number under that contract to the minimum tarriff of £10 a month - I have an on call role in my new job and I could easily use the new number with vodafone to receive on call calls out of hours! I am very VERY angry at vodafone for discontinuing my contract without permission, billing me, making my sure signal valueless, and refusing to do a downgrade on what are CLEARLY labelled as OPTIONS.

I am furious and I want to take them to task over their legal conduct - can I sue them for illegal cancellation of contract?

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Sorry, not sure I completely understand this, can you just correct me if I'm wrong:

You have a contract with Voafone which your think is up next month (whether you signed or took it out via phone/internet is pretty irrelevant at this stage, the contract exists)

You wish to terminate this contract and move to O2 (why not just wait a month?)

You wish to carry on using the vodafone phone on a lower tariff.

If the above is all correct then I'm afraid Vodafone are right (much as it galls me to admit it) taking your business and phone number to O2 effectively ends your contract with Vodafone and as the contract is still running, you would have to pay the remainder of the term to get out of it (although if this is next month then it's onlly 1 payment, not £55 plus £40)

To attach a new number to your existing phone would be a new contract.

Don't understand where it comes from that Vodafone have terminated your contract early - was this not at your request?

Heidi_Vodafone

Oct 29, 2011
Hi Conanman,

I am afraid that Witch consumer is correct here. If you have a month remaining on your current contract, we would be unable to lower the price plan. You would need to wait until you are out of commitment before we can downgrade your plan.

Kind regards,

Heidi
Web Relations Team
Vodafone UK