O2 Contract demands

DRP

Jul 5, 2012
Hi all,

Background: I recently went on holiday and was mugged of my phone/purse. As bad luck would have it, i came home to find a bill of £620 from the calls the muggers had made (partly due to the length of time I took to get my phone cancelled). Now 02 have agreed to reduce this by £100 but i still can't afford to pay this off in one go (full time student only working part time hours). Now i've agreed that I will pay this money off, and i've been told that I can do this on a monthly basis BUT that the sim will be locked until the debt is paid...fair play.

Now my main concern comes after being told that i'm still expected to pay the £30 per month for the contract. I'm due a call in a week to discuss the matter, but my arguement is that O2 cannot expect me to pay £30 per month for a locked phone that i cannot make any use of! It fails in the basic nature of a contract i.e i'm paying for a service which O2 will not be giving me.

Am I correct in this line of thought? My suggestion will be that they freeze the contract, I pay off the debt, then resume the remaining months left on the contract.

Please advise!
Thanks