Am i entitled to a refund for my car

liamb2001

Jul 11, 2012
I part exchanged my focus 10 weeks ago for a Golf tdi at my local Volkswagon dealer as well as putting down some money, it came with 3 months warranty, anyway i was really busy with my wedding but pretty much as soon as i got the car id had 2 noticable problems with it, one the car struggled to start when hot and another was a bad rattling noise that occured when the car was hot (after 30 mins). But because of my wedding i didnt get chance to book the car into their repairs till about 3 weeks ago.

Ive had the car back to Volkwagon 3 times now and its still not fixed and have been told that they cant tell what the problem is without taking the engine apart and that if the warranty company dont agree to this then i will have to pay for it myself.

What i want to know is are they allowed to do this as the cars obviously not been right since i swapped it and am i entitled to a refund from a bad sound from a car which is obviously something mechanical that they are struggling to fix ?

i would appreciate any help on this matter at all thanks

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Your rights aren't quite the same when buying a second hand car rather than a new one but the car must still be as described, unless the advert says "has a nasty rattle and doesn't start when hot" they are responsible for it, warranty or not, sounds like the problem existed when you bought the car.

liamb2001

Jul 11, 2012
thanks for your time and your reply, do you think im eligible for a refund by law then ?

Im going to wait and see what the warranty company say but if im expected to pay for it i will be requesting a refund i just want to know my rights before i let them know im going to be seeking legal advice.

dorien

Aug 7, 2012
sounds like you are due a refund to me, the description was not accurate so you where ripped off i think