Am I entitled to a refund from this coach company?

scotty

Jul 14, 2012
Im inthe middle of an ongoing battle with a national coach company, out of principle more than anything. They advertise their long distance coach travel 'Gold' service as an alternative business travel option as they provide wifi and refreshments on the service. The cost is a premium rate, more than their normal rate for 'normal' bus service on the same route. The last 3 times I have travelled on it, specifically as it 'provides free wifi' which means that I can ostensibly still work on the journey, the wifi hasnt worked at all, not for one moment. Bear in mind that they make a big point on their website that they offer wifi for the 'discerning business traveller'. I have complained to head office on 2 occasions to no avail, more to make a point than anything- they are advertising a service that is not there. Even the coach steward admitted to me that they dont maintain the service to the past extent. The Head office response is that they;re not obliged to make refunds as they advertise the 'wifi as free'. Does this make any difference? They are still advertising a non existent service. Can anyone advise?
Thanks
Scotty

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Hi Scotty,
If they advertise a service which you then have to pay extra for, you should be getting that service otherwise theyve broken the contract. You would be entitled to a partial refund of what the wifi service is costing you.
For example:
3 packages- Package 1 - no frills £20. Package 2 - with refreshments £25 . Package 3 - refreshments & wifi £30, you would be entitled to a £5 refund.
But obviously getting a definitive extra cost for wifi may prove hard to get.

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
In addition I'm guessing they don't offer this service free to those travelling 'economy' so how does it work? do they give you a password to connect - just incase it works.

As already stated, it isn't free if it comes of part of a package and if they advertise it, they need to provide it.

Find an advert that contains the info and send it to the ASA, let them decide whether they can advertise something they're not providing.

scotty

Jul 14, 2012
Hi there
The way it works is that you pay more for this coach service than the 'standard' service which runs maybe half an hour later. This 'premium' route provides a) a steward on board who dispenses a coffee and shortbread during the journey and b) the wifi. There is no wifi or refreshments on the other,( according to the steward) cheaper route. Theres no password to connect, the screen should just come up with a log in, to their own network, but on my laptop, it just comes up as 'no networks' available.
Thanks for your help