Faulty TV replcement when model is no longer avilable

daddymac

Jul 17, 2012
Hi

I'm looking for some assistance and hoping some can help. I purchased a TV from Asda a few months ago, which developed a purple line across the bottom of the TV.
I took the TV back to Asda at the weekend and they were happy to replace it, however as Toshiba had since updated its models the original TV I bought was no longer available.
Asda confirmed I could have a replacement but that I would have to pay the difference.
When I challenged this their response was " well we'll just give you your money back then". Not what you want to here when your returing at TV at 8pm at night and have two under fives to go back home to!!!

Can anyone confirm if this is correct. Were they within their rights to make me pay the difference?

Thanks

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
No, you have the right to a partial refund (to account for time you had it - so offering a full is good),
Or you have the right to a repair (if it's reasonable for both you and asda)
Or, you can have a replacement of similar specifications if your model is no longer available (and you are not liable for any price difference).

daddymac

Jul 17, 2012
Thanks for this, is this part of my Statutory right or part of the sale of goods act, just would like to be sure before I start quoting this to ASDA

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
They are both the same thing, your statutory rights exist uner the Sale of Goods act as oppose to a warranty which is provided by a manufacturer or supplier which is in adition to your statutry rights.

TBH I think I would accept their offer of a full refund an go elsewhere for a replacement, as stated, it's a good offer