Rent Query?

scotchlass

Facilitator
Sep 5, 2008
I am about to move house and I am a little confused. I live in Scotland which may differ to English Law on this, but would appreciate any advice. I paid a £500 deposit plus £500 rent for the first month upfront for my current property. The lease was a 6 months contract which has run out and I have handed in my 2 months notice for moving in January 2009. Now, my question is, do I have to pay my current landlord for the full month of January when the I will be handing the keys back on the 10th January? I have stated in the written notice that this will be the last day of the tenancy and all keys will be handed in then. I just feel that £500 is a bit much to be paying out for 10 days!! If it is not in the lease (which has run out anyway?) should I cancel the standing order and pay the landlord a proportion of the month for January? Or would I be in breach of the agreement? Help!!:confused:

Any advice?

GlasgowGirl

Facilitator
Jul 22, 2008
I can't see any reason why you would have to pay a full month's rent when you won't be there for a full month, assuming that you have given proper notice. I would expect to pay an appropriate proportion of the rent, but it's probably best to contact the landlord now to establish his/her expectations and avoid any misunderstandings. Also, make sure you know what the arrangements are for getting your deposit back - when I was renting, I found most landlords were strangely reluctant to return deposits...

scotchlass

Facilitator
Sep 5, 2008
Thanks for the advice, we have given the two months notice in writing as stipulated so will approach landlord- think they will try and hold out for a full month and from what I have heard they are reluctant to hand back deposits(I know some previous tenants!). Hmmm, we'll see what happens.