Orange Internet

PaulJ

Jul 29, 2012
I've just discovered that Orange have continued to charge me for a broadband account I had with them and cancelled 6 years ago, when I changed providers to TalkTalk.

Having gone back through my old bank statements, I worked out they've charged me over £1300 for a service they are not providing.

I know I will have cancelled the account with Orange, when I switched back in 2006, but it's so long ago I don't recall the specifics of how or when.

I've brought this to Orange's attention today, and they offered me a refund of 50% of the money they had taken - which they increasded to 75% when I told them I thought their offer was disgusting.

They stated they wouldn't give me a full refund, as I have a responsibility to check the payments going out of my account. My argument is that they were told to cancel the account, but failed to do so.

Obviously I want a full refund, but does anybody know where I stand legally, in relation to claiming back the money they have taken?

I realise I've been stupid for not checking my Direct Debits more thoroughly, and I can assure you I'll watch them like a hawk from now on. But stupid or not, should I be financially responsible for Orange's administrative failures?

I would be eternally grateful for any help or advice anybody could give me on this.

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
You are legally entitled to a full refund of this money plus statutory interest at 8% per annum, it's not up to you to check your bank statements, it's up to them not to take money for a service they are not providing or a contract that no longer exists.

Go through their complaints procedure and if you don't get a full refund you can take the matter to the communications ombudsman or small claims court

Do not under any circumstances tell Orange you have no record of cancelling the account :D

jackomolight

Dec 21, 2012
Well, you should definitely be able to take them to the small claims court, I think there is no doubt about that.