Out of pocket installation costs on faulty gas cookers

jano432

Jul 31, 2012
Hi

I have purchased 3 cookers from new since Feb of this year. Each time they have been proved to be faulty the company has agreed to exchange except that as they were gas it cost me £120 to have them installed. The company has offered me only 30 towards costs and I think this is unfair as it was not my fault there was a problem. I had to pay £119 more for the latest cooker to try to be sure that the same would not happen again as the first two were the same make and model.

Can I force them to refund my costs?

Jan

trickygj

May 31, 2010
Cheshire
www.richardgjohnson.co.uk
When you say 'force' you mean do you have a right? I would not like to think you had employed some heavies!

If because of their faulty product you have incurred costs then you should reclaim those costs. You will not be able to reclaim the £119 because you agreed to an upgrade. You could have refused to pay this and they would have had to replace or refund.

jano432

Jul 31, 2012
Hi

Thank you for your reply, when I said force, I meant how can I put pressure on them to refund my out of pocket costs. Can you please suggest how I go about it when I call them?

Incidentally no 3 cooker is still not working, engineer coming back on Monday but I am not holding my breath.

Thanks

Jan

trickygj

May 31, 2010
Cheshire
Ok sorry not replied sooner.

The retailer has provided you with faulty goods and has replaced these twice since and each time they have been faulty. As a direct result of this you have incurred costs. These costs are reasonable because without incurring them them you would not have known if the cooker was working or not.

Under the Sales of Goods Act 1979 section 48B (2)

If the buyer requires the seller to repair or replace the goods, the seller must—
(a)repair or, as the case may be, replace the goods within a reasonable time but without causing significant inconvenience to the buyer;
(b)bear any necessary costs incurred in doing so (including in particular the cost of any labour, materials or postage).

So in your case the goods must be replaced in a reasonable time and without causing you significant inconvenience AND the seller must bear all costs incurred including the costs of installing the cooker. You should point out the relevant bit of SOGA to him.

Hope that helps :)

jano432

Jul 31, 2012
Sounds fantastic!!!

Repair man coming again today with parts for cooker no. 3.

Once I know the outcome (if he can repair or not) I will the calling the retailer with the results. I will then use your suggested approach to ask for the rest of my money back which at the moment is £30.

If he cannot repair, which I really hope he can, this one too will go back and then there will be further costs incurred in having another one installed.

If I ask then for all my money back to start again with another provider, can I ask for all installation costs back i.e. the money I paid to install the first one, as if I start again with another supplier, i will have to pay installation again? I assume, likewise, I can.

JAN

jano432

Jul 31, 2012
Hi

Yes I ordered a Hotpoint double oven cooker which was installed in Feb (I paid installation costs £60). This was faulty and after Hotpoint saying they could not fix it as it was an intermittent fault, it was replaced in May but with the same make and model (Hotpoint paid installation costs). Cooker proved to have same fault and again was not repairable.

Ordered another make and model, Exlectrolux which cost another £119. I paid to have this installed (£120 to date). The company "as a gesture of goodwill" credited me £30 towards installation.

Electrolux guy been today and repaired and thanks to you I have now claimed another £30 which means I have now paid to have one cooker installed which is as it should be.

Thank you very much for your help - previously they said there was no way I could get a full refund but today, they changed their tune once I mentioned the SOGA!!!!!

THANKS AGAIN!

trickygj

May 31, 2010
Cheshire
It is a fact of life that (generally) retailers will always try to save costs when they know full well you have the law on your side. The hope is you do not know the law. As soon as they realise you do, they suddenly change there view! Amazing!

Well done and I am glad we helped :)