My 1 year and 10 month tv broke

cb74

Aug 2, 2012
I bought an LG 37" LCD television from Currys Digital in October 2010. Last night there was a loud bang and it turned off. In only had the 12 month manufacturers warranty but I'm wondering whether, under the sale of goods act, I have a case for it not lasting for as long as it should do. Does anyone have any idea what I should do? Should I contact the retailer and try and get them to sort it out? What are my rights? There doesn't seem to be any clear cut answer!

trickygj

May 31, 2010
Cheshire
www.richardgjohnson.co.uk
There is a clear cut answer!

Under the SOGA 1979 there is an implied term that goods are of satisfactory quality.

Satisfactory quality means the standard that a reasonable person would regard as satisfactory taking into account the description of the goods, the price and any other relevant circumstances. Basically, if the TV cost a quid then you would have a hard time proving that it was meant to last too long. If it cost a few hundred then the opposite is true.

If the TV has not been abused a reasonable person and indeed a court would expect a TV to last longer than 22 months.

You will need to show to the retailer that the TV was faulty when you bought it and that might involve getting a report done by a TV repair company etc. If they don't pay up then take them to the small claims court.

You need to contact the retailer as it is them you have a contract with.

gino555

Aug 16, 2012
how would a tv repaircompany prove that the tv was faulty at time of purchase? I have a similar situation my 63inch tv broke after 20 months
I did sent it to the retailer and it is now broken! details in my thread in this section

gino555

Aug 16, 2012
how would a tv repair company prove that the tv was faulty at time of purchase? I have a similar situation my 63inch tv broke after 20 months
I did sent it to the retailer and it is now broken! details in my thread in this section

trickygj

May 31, 2010
Cheshire
www.richardgjohnson.co.uk
The repair company would confirm that the fault was not due to owner damage or fair wear and tear. If the fault is due to a faulty circuit board for example that would be a fault assumed to be present when the TV was purchased. If they found water damage it would not.