Woolworths closure sale begins

katealpha

Sep 1, 2008
Beds
Woolworths closure sale begins today. Story at BBC Online.
Have to say that I can't resist nipping down to my local Woolworths later today to see if I can get any bargains. :D

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
I did was there at 8:45am, only thing with 50% off was the clothing.

Most of the stuff was 10-20% off and 10-20% more expensive than everywhere else to start with.

I suspect this is the problem that's caused Woollies demise in the first place, they have been nowhere near competitive enough in recent years, I used to love Woolworths at this time of the year but recently I've noticed the choice has gone down while the prices have crept up.

My heart goes out to those staff who are about to lose their jobs but few of us can afford to let our hearts rule our pockets, I'm afraid it's their senior management, not their customers, who have let them down.

Jorumian

Facilitator
Sep 1, 2008
Birkenhead
I've read elsewhere that this so-called massive sale was nothing of the kind, and that most things were selling at or near the price that they could be bought in other shops.

I am yet to be convinced that these large sales are anything of the kind, and the people who think they are going to go and pick up that brand new Nintendo DS for £50 are going to be sorely disappointed.

Bah Humbug and all that...

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
I read the same, it looks like they are not going to find a buyer for any part of the company and have shed another 700 jobs. There is never any 'good time' to lose a job, but to be made redundant at Christmas must be terrible.