'Free Trial' from Vodafone

OldCodger

Aug 13, 2012
Hi,

I have been with Vodafone since 1995 and get a pretty good deal on my phone without any problems.
Last week they phoned me with an 'offer' a brand new iPad for £20 and a two year contract at £26 a month and I could have it on a 7 day trial with no obligation. I basically said yes just to get the woman off the phone so I could get on with my life. The iPad arrived the next day and I left it unopened and after 6 days emailed them to say thank you for the trial but no thanks and could they arrange to collect the iPad.
I have heard nothing from them yet so my question is how long do I have to wait before the goods become mine by default? as I have told them I dont want it and to collect it.
I know that unsolicited goods become yours by default if they are not collected within a certain time. This however was solicited and I agreed to a 7 day trial.
any help or advice would be appreciated.

Old Codger.

TallGuy

Apr 30, 2012
I'm quite sure this sits under the distance selling regulations of 14 days.

You should make sure you've got copies of any correspondence that you've sent, as well as followed their returns procedure to the letter.

You risk becoming locked into the contract if you don't make sure you've got in touch with them to cancel everything. Regardless of what you think, it could work against you if you haven't made enough effort to tell the company you don't wish to proceed with the contract. I'm not saying you'll get locked in regardless, but it won't be a nice experience trying to get out of it once it's in force.

Last edited:

Heidi_Vodafone

Oct 29, 2011
Hi OldCodger,

Firstly, I am disappointed to hear that you have not yet had a response regarding the return.

On any contract we offer, there is a seven day period in which you can cancel and return the device. If you have contacted us within this time, we can cancel the agreement.

So that I can help you further, could you let me know your email reference number. I can then find the email chain and get in touch to resolve this.

Thanks,

Heidi
Web Relations Team
Vodafone UK