Samsung lcd tv fault/capacitors & eprom

lbertrand

Aug 15, 2012
Yorkshire
My Samsung 42" LCD TV recently developed what appears to be an inherent fault - when switching on with the remote, it makes a strange clicking/thumping noise and takes longer and longer to switch on. I did some research on-line and thought the following information may be useful as I did eventually have a positive outcome.

I discovered many owners of Samsung TV's have had this problem and it is due to faulty capacitors and in some models (with an R in the model number) an Eprom. In the USA a recent lawsuit has ensured that all faulty TV's of this ilk are repaired FOC. I phoned Currys in Harrogate where I had purchased the TV 5 years ago and they simply told me to bring it in (not easy!), pay £90 up front and then the cost of the repair. I told them about the fault and what I had read of these capacitors and they appeared not to know about it, strange! Anyway, they did give me the customer service number of Samsung and I must say they were excellent when I contacted them. I simply explained the problem, gave themthe serial number and model number and they arranged for a local service engineer to come out. They assured me this would all be FOC if it was deemed to be the faulty capacitors. He arrived the next day, took the TV away and two days later it came back completely repaired - no charge. Thus, it would seem that Samsung are honouring this as a FOC repair in UK as well.

Just thought this info may be useful. Apparently, my TV did well to get to 5 years old without the fault developing but it can happen as early as 1-2 years - not great, I certainly expected better from Samsung but at least they handled it well. ;)

carlos13

Nov 14, 2012
i have registered to personally thank you for this thread! i have a 2 year old 46" plasma which i baught second hand from a shop and i have no reciept.
i was trying to diagnose the fault on google to get an idea of cost for repair and came across this. my tv keeps making a clicking noise and does not power on. this started off a few days ago and eventually if i left for 5 minutes it would power on but now nothing. so i rang samsung customer service and they were most helpful and will be sending someone out in the next 7 days to repair. what surprises me is they asked for no proof of purchase! thanks alot mate... you saved me quite a few bob!

Leabrooks

Jan 4, 2013
A big Thanks to everyone on this forum!

I too had the clicking capacitor problem on my Samsung LE40R87BD lcd tv with no picture coming on and just the endless cycle of clicking ....so I called Samsung Service after reading this forum, which i found yesterday (3/1/2013), explained the problem and today (4/1/2013) two Samsung technicians came and repaired my tv with two replacement pcb's (circuit boards) all FOC and all within 24 hours!

And as a side benifit the picture quality now seems better than when it was new! (its 4 years old). One happy chappy!

Well done Samsung and well done you guys on here!

Raunchpr

Oct 4, 2014
Last Samsung product I will buy, a manufacturing mistake by Samsung should be a free repair without any need to supply original purchase receipt, it app rears Samsung do not care about their reputation ......never again will I buy a Samsung....I paid £40 but have to argue to be refunded...will keep you informed...

jasher13579

Oct 16, 2014
Last Samsung product I will buy, a manufacturing mistake by Samsung should be a free repair without any need to supply original purchase receipt, it app rears Samsung do not care about their reputation ......never again will I buy a Samsung....I paid £40 but have to argue to be refunded...will keep you informed...

hi ...we have same problem with my tele ....i ran out of warranty but this prblem started 6 momths after i bought ...continous clicking sound on standby mode ...but i ignore it ..but now horizontal line but still working , i tried to rand samsung main office but refuse to pay for repair...what happen to your tele and what did they replace ...many thanks

jasher13579

Oct 16, 2014
A big Thanks to everyone on this forum!

I too had the clicking capacitor problem on my Samsung LE40R87BD lcd tv with no picture coming on and just the endless cycle of clicking ....so I called Samsung Service after reading this forum, which i found yesterday (3/1/2013), explained the problem and today (4/1/2013) two Samsung technicians came and repaired my tv with two replacement pcb's (circuit boards) all FOC and all within 24 hours!

And as a side benifit the picture quality now seems better than when it was new! (its 4 years old). One happy chappy!

Well done Samsung and well done you guys on here!

hi just want to know if your tele has still warranty when they repair it...we have same problem the only difference my tele has 4 horizontal line on screen ...im trying to change the main power board but now im not dure which pcb board to change ....many thanks

Raunchpr

Oct 4, 2014
Hi, their repair center replaced the faulty capacitors and power supply, i only paid for the inspection £40 and was told if i can supply the original receipt they will refund me the £40. Unfortunately i am unable to find the receipt yet.

jasher13579

Oct 16, 2014
Hi, their repair center replaced the faulty capacitors and power supply, i only paid for the inspection £40 and was told if i can supply the original receipt they will refund me the £40. Unfortunately i am unable to find the receipt yet.
hi.....is your tv out of warranty or still have the warranty ...because when i rang they said inspection £30 ...did they not ask you to pay for repair ..many thanks

jasher13579

Oct 16, 2014
hi ..did someone came to your house to do the repair or you brought the tv in there repair center..many thanks

Raunchpr

Oct 4, 2014
i brought it to them, they wanted a further £50 to collect.....it is out of warranty....unfortunately

jasher13579

Oct 16, 2014
hi ...thanks for a quick reply ....and sorry for bothering you a lot ...what happen why the repair service center never ask you to pay for the repair instead the inspection cost only .what did you do ....same as i am now my tv is out of warranty but this clicking sound started a few months after i bought it but i thought its normal so i ignore it and a horizontal line on screen appear after few moths as well and getting worse ...i want to bring my tv on service center here in solihull west midland ..do i need to pay for repair ... this is a manufacture fault ....like in america they file class suite due to capacitor issue and im sure the clicking sound in my tv is same problem in america ,,, i need an advise from someone like you and others ...

Raunchpr

Oct 4, 2014
I can only guess why they only charged for the inspection and not the repair, is because I told them the fault and that it was a manufacturer fault, 10v capacitor used instead of 12v capacitors. My TV is out of warranty as I already stated. They would have collected it but they wanted £50 so I delivered it to them. It was only two week ago.
Call samsung and get a fault number from them register the problem before you take it for repair. Best of luck.

byronwatson

May 20, 2022
My Samsung 42" LCD TV recently developed what appears to be an inherent fault - when switching on with the remote, it makes a strange clicking/thumping noise and takes longer and longer to switch on. I did some research on-line and thought the following information may be useful as I did eventually have a positive outcome.

I discovered many owners of Samsung TV's have had this problem and it is due to faulty capacitors and in some models (with an R in the model number) an Eprom. In the USA a recent lawsuit has ensured that all faulty TV's of this ilk are repaired FOC. I phoned Currys in Harrogate where I had purchased the TV 5 years ago and they simply told me to bring it in (not easy!), pay £90 up front and then the cost of the repair. I told them about the fault and what I had read of these capacitors and they appeared not to know about it, strange! Anyway, they did give me the customer service number of Samsung and I must say they were excellent when I contacted them. I simply explained the problem, gave themthe serial number and model number and they arranged for a local service engineer to come out. They assured me this would all be FOC if it was deemed to be the faulty capacitors. He arrived the next day, took the TV away and two days later it came back completely repaired - no charge. Thus, it would seem that Samsung are honouring this as a FOC repair in UK as well.

Just thought this info may be useful. Apparently, my TV did well to get to 5 years old without the fault developing but it can happen as early as 1-2 years - not great, LCD Display Manufacturers I certainly expected better from Samsung but at least they handled it well. ;)
Hello. I have an almost 2 year old Samsung LCD TV model LNS4051, I think that this TV is dying.

When TV sits idle for a while and when I attempt to turn it on, it makes initial clicking sound and red light flashes for a few seconds and then disappears. A few seconds after a series of double-clicks (5-8) are followed for a few minutes and eventually the TV turns on. However, if TV is ON for a while and when I turn it off and then immediately back on there are no delays TV turns on normally.

There are no picture quality problems and once the TV is on it works fine, there are no clicking sounds nor does it turn itself off. I have already tried to unplug the power cable but it did not help.

Finally, I decided to call Samsung and they did not have any suggestions other than unplugging the power cable. Since the TV set is out of warranty I requested Samsung to provide me with a certified service technician, they told me that the only techs that they have in my area work under warranty and I live in Toronto
:o
. Samsung does not have service techs in Toronto that they can recommend
:-?
what a shame...

Anybody have heard and/or encountered this problem?

Any info is appreciated.

Last edited:

byronwatson

May 20, 2022
Hello. I have an almost 2 year old Samsung LCD TV model LNS4051, I think that this TV is dying.

When TV sits idle for a while and when I attempt to turn it on, it makes initial clicking sound and red light flashes for a few seconds and then disappears. A few seconds after a series of double-clicks (5-8) are followed for a few minutes and eventually the TV turns on. However, if TV is ON for a while and when I turn it off and then immediately back on there are no delays TV turns on normally.

There are no picture quality problems and once the TV is on it works fine, there are no clicking sounds nor does it turn itself off. I have already tried to unplug the power cable but it did not help.

Finally, I decided to call Samsung and they did not have any suggestions other than unplugging the power cable. Since the TV set is out of warranty I requested Samsung to provide me with a certified service technician, they told me that the only techs that they have in my area work under warranty and I live in Toronto
:o
. Samsung does not have service techs in Toronto that they can recommend
:-?
what a shame...
mobile phone lcd screens supplier
Anybody have heard and/or encountered this problem?

Any info is appreciated.
not getting any response to this