Damaged bike frame noticed after 2 days

Aug 26, 2012
Hi,

I have bought a bike frame from my local bike shop and had them build it into a bike with components I supplied. I didn't see the frame before it was built up. I have collected it from the shop, paid for it and got it home. 2 days later I have returned it, unridden as I have noted paint chipped from the top of the headtube in 2 places and a scratch down the side of it. Also, the head tube has been cut unevenly so it doesn't match up with the headset around its full circumference (the headset sits within and on top of the headtube).

The shop are contacting the distributer for a warranty claim although they said that they may contest that I or the bike shop have caused the paint chips and scratch. I have read the manufacturers warranty, it doesn't cover paint.

I am wondering where I stand, I am upset having spent my savings on something I have really wanted for ages and I will treasure. It cost £3500 and on principle I think a new item should be without fault. Also, the manufacturer is offering other frames with smaller defects, pointed out to the buyer, for money off. Its not the cost reduction that I have issue with but in my opinion, if they are operating this offer then the non-reduced items should be completely spot on.

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Hi, this is not down to the manufacturer to sort out, your point of call and you place of complaint is to the shop that you paid. Your contract is with the shop, not manufacturer.

As the shop have supplied you something not of satisfactory quality, it is down to them to sort it out. And it is their problem to further chase manufacturers, but this is AFTER they sort you out with the new item.

Hope this helps.

Aug 26, 2012
Hi,

Thanks for the reply, that's what I suspected but it was good to have it confirmed. I shall see how negotiations go.