clocked vehicle with fake service history on hp

R10kbs

Sep 3, 2012
Good evening/Morning
After reading various posts on here trying to find information that will help with my predicament, I decided to join up and see if you knowledgable bunch can help me.

I bought a 4 year old transit 2 years ago from a dealer on HP,
It was sold to me as 66k miles and fsh.

It has 2 previous keepers,
one was the dealer (name on log book)
and the other turns out to be a company Ford leased it too.

It failed its second mot since i owned it on a few minor bits,
i misplaced the failure sheet so went on VOSA's MOT History site to pull up the list of failures.

This was when I spotted the vehicles first mot at 3 years old,
and it had a mileage recorded of 168k
yet the MOT the dealer put on a few days before collection had 66k recorded.

i checked the service history and googled the dealer on the ford stamps in the service book.

They didnt exist.
postcode was even fake.

i rang the mot station where it had its first mot which happened to be a ford dealer.

they confirmed they leased the vehicle to a company for 3 years,
mot'd it at 168k and this fitted in with the 10 services they had carried outs mileage.
they also said they disposed of the vehicle by auction with 175k on the clock.

How should i go about resolving this?

I have spoken to the FC who have allocated me a mediator.
He has advised i write to the dealer which i have done and am waiting for a reply.

He also said its unfair to go after the FC as they arent the ones who wronged me
but if i get no reasonable solution from the dealer
i may have to sue the finance company and they will get the dealer brought into the equation when it goes to court.

to sum it up
im the 3rd owner
2nd was dealer
1st was somebody ford leased it to and they returned it to ford
who auctioned it with 175k.
the auction house has confirmed this.

I bought it as a 66k mile truck with fsh but the service history turns out to be fake.
ive paid over 7k in total and owe just over 5k

What should i be doing?
should i stop payments?
can i reject the vehicle?

if i reject the vehicle what is a fair sum for the usage ive had out of it?
(ive had it 2 years and done 20k miles)

should i even worry about being unfair chasing the FC
when i believe its the dealer that has wronged me?

if i stopped payments would FC take me to court where i can air my greivances without the cost of sueing them?

thanks in advance for any advice as you can tell by the time its playing quite heavily on my mind at the moment.

Rick

i have received an offer of settling the outstanding finance and keeping the truck or getting £500 refunded and giving the truck back and the finance being settled and been told by the mediator this is a fair offer??

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
Firstly, as you seem to be aware, the finance company own the vehicle so it's their responsibility to sort this, I am a bit surprised they have simply made you a financial off er as 'clocking' vehicles is illegal and creating a false service history is fraud.

As far as you are concerned, you want fair recompense for this van, basically the difference between what it was worth and what you paid plus the additional interest on the loan, that is,; if you're happy to keep it.

I wouldn't stop payments because that may have affect your credit rating and land you in court for all the wrong reasons.

What strikes me is that seems little point in putting mileage on MOT certificates if one can lose 100kbof miles and it isn't picked up, now MOT's are done electronically, it would be a simple matter to confirm and reject the certificate.

Basically you can either reject the vehicle because it's illegal or negotiate a decent discount, if the dealer won't help, a chat with the police may, you could also check with the auction house to make sure the dealer bought it so you can prove it was them that clocked it.