Cousins Furniture

Joanmac

Sep 6, 2012
Can anyone please help me??? I purchased a suite from Cousins in December 2010, 1 x 3 seater sofa, 1 x 2 seater sofa and 1 x chair. It was quite expensive, just over £2,500.

After 12 months use we discovered that the cushions on the 3 seater sofa were becoming quite marked and mottley. After a lengthy process Cousins eventually sent a technician to inspect the furniture who agreed there was a manufacturing defect in the leather and they re-covered the sofa. Problem satisfactorily resolved.

I now have the same problem on the 2 seater sofa and also on the chair. Cousins refused to reinspect as they said the suite was too old and out of warranty. I eventually contacted the Furniture Ombudsman to intervene, which they did, and after two visits by independant technicians (which has taken over 12 months to organise) I have been told this is normal wear and tear and they will take no further action.

Now when I purchased this suite it was chestnut brown, now after just over 2 years use it is chestnut brown and cream!!! Surely a fairly expensive suite should last for more than 2 years if it was fit for use??? We are two mature adults with no children living in the home so cannot accept normal wear and tear for the total discolouration of my suite.

How can they claim a manufacturing defect was responsible for the damage on the 3 seater sofa when photographs confirm that the damage is exactly the same on the 2 seater sofa and the chair?????

Are there any further avenues for me to explore? I would be most grateful for any advice anyone could give.

Thanks in anticipation!