Cheapest Grocery Shop?

Jorumian

Facilitator
Sep 1, 2008
Birkenhead
We all know that Lidl, Aldi and co are the saviours of the hard hit consumer as their low prices have seen them take chunks out of the more expensive likes of Asda, Tesco and Sainsburys... right?

When 'budget' Aldi costs more than 'pricey' Tesco and Asda | Mail Online

Very interesting reading. Although it is worth noting that this is comparing the cheapest possible brands at places and I am not being funny but the 91p cans of lager I would rather wash my hair with than drink...

Joe

May 9, 2008
Chill it to just above freezing and you won't be able to tell the difference...

katealpha

Sep 1, 2008
Beds
I find Morrisons works out cheapest for us because of the way their fresh food is priced. If I only want to spend 35p on 3 small bananas I can, or 90p on a punnet of fresh olives etc :D
I find in Tesco etc you are forced into buying bigger packs of prepackaged food than you actually want. This may work out better if you've a family to feed but we are just a 2 person household.

Jorumian

Facilitator
Sep 1, 2008
Birkenhead
That's a great point Kate...

I always wonder how much of the food we buy, we actually waste... Especially around Christmas where it seems everyone goes crazy buying things that often end up in the bin on the 29th because nobody has touched them...

It is much more sense financially to spend 35p on 3 bananas if that is what you are going to eat, as opposed to 50p on six if you are going to throw three away.

The counter argument is I suppose that it is hard to know how much food will be eaten in the course of a week so there is bound to be wastage.