Wrong Goods Delivered - Refund Question?

T

Tinkerbelle

Hello,

I purchased a brand new wooden bed from a company over the internet and paid for it with a credit card.

The bed was delivered yesterday (flat packed), I signed for it as unchecked and myself and my husband opened it today to build it.

We were really disappointed and surprised to find a different headboard than ordered, quite a lot of wood missing so couldn't even build a bed even if we tried and no instructions, screws or dowels.

We would like the bed to be collected and a full refund.

Are we within our rights to ask for our credit card to be credited before the bed is collected? And can we ask for compensation as what we ordered has not been delivered?

I'd really appreciate any advice.

Thank you in advance.

Tinkerbelle. :)

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Hi Tinkerbelle,

You can get a refund from the supplier under the Distance Selling Regulations and your seven day cooling off or you could give them the opportunity to send the missing bits. You could also claim that the goods are not as described and not fit for purpose and you are rejecting them. The supplier would pay the cost of shipping in the latter case, but you might in the former if you were made aware of the costs for returning goods.

See: Returning Faulty or Damaged Goods | Consumer Information

The Credit Card company is equally liable under the section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act.

The money has to be returned within 30 days by law, but it might be less in the terms (it shouldn't be more). Although it must be really annoying, I don't think you have reasonable grounds for compensation.

Tony

Jorumian

Facilitator
Sep 1, 2008
Birkenhead
Hi Tinkerbell,

A few years back we had a similar thing happen with a wardrobe we'd ordered. One was fine, but the other we received was obviously a return. The box had previously been opened and when we got inside there were no fixings or instructions at all to put it together and one of the pieces of wood was badly scratched.

When we got in touch we were told we could have either a refund, or wait a couple of days until they had fresh stock in. We chose the latter. In the meantime they picked up the faulty pack and about 4 or 5 days later we got a replacement through which was fine.

As Tony has confirmed, there should be no problem receiving a refund for this or arranging for them to come and collect the item at no cost to you. However for compensation I am assuming you need to have been seriously inconvenienced for a period of time or for some kind of damage to have been caused and I can't really see you having any luck there.

T

Tinkerbelle

Thanks

Hi,

Thank you both for your replies.

We have been given a refund from the company and the bed has been collected today.

Merry Christmas!

Tinkerbelle :)