broken front door locking mechanism - SOGA?

europa

Sep 20, 2012
Hi everyone
Today i found myself locked out as a result of the handle on my GRP door breaking. The door is roughly two years old and was fitted by my housing association - i am a leaseholder. I called the housing association, which claimed that the door only has a one-year guarantee and that i would have to call a locksmith. I had little choice, and am now facing an estimated bill of 420£ (70£ call-out + 280£ parts/labour + VAT) - locking mechanism will be fully replaced tomorrow.

What i would like to know is: can i claim under the Sale of Goods Act? In my opinion, a door should last at least five years.

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks!

europa

Sep 20, 2012
Perhaps i should rephrase my question slightly:

How long can one expect a front-door locking mechanism to last?

[Personally, i would not expect it to fail after two years as it so vital to the function of the door.]

Thanks again!

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
I agree with you although the company that fitted them would only have a 12 month defect liability period.

Confused tho because I thought landlords were responsible for all repairs on their property?

europa

Sep 20, 2012
I agree with you although the company that fitted them would only have a 12 month defect liability period.

Confused tho because I thought landlords were responsible for all repairs on their property?
Thanks for you reply.

They are only responsible for the properties of their tenants, plus the external parts of the apartment block as a whole. Given that i'm a leaseholder, i am responsible for my own flat. That is why i had to pay for the door in the first place - tenants got them free of charge.

Would the the SOGA not override the warranty? Anyhow, i would say my contract is with the association (as they sold me the door); so any agreements they have with a third-party contractor (e.g. defect liability period) should be irrelevant, no?