Working out postage

NickiSue

Sep 30, 2012
North Yorkshire
How do you all work out your postage before listing?
I use some digital kitchen scales for most things which I know are accurate and use the info on the Rm website to work out a postage cost. I rarely charge for packing materials as I get these free so only charge postage.
That said the amount I get charged at the post office is always higher than I work out from home. Any idea where I could be going wrong?

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Hi,
If you have an iPhone, there is a postage calculator on the App Store (I don't know about android), this is very easy to use. However if you're happy using the online 'Price finder', so be it.
Are you sure you're weighing the parcels correctly? Are the sides of the parcels resting on your work surface? Are you weighing the item only and not the item + packaging?

The PO uses a very simple algorithm to working out prices, for example below 100g will be a fixed price, say £1.50, 100-250g will be say £1.80 , 250-499 will be say £2.30 and so on.
And don't forget, recorded/signed for delivery adds 80p I think.

Also it could be your scales, it might sound daft, but If they are not 100% flat, the weight will be incorrect. As you said they are kitchen scales, they are hardly the most trustworthy instrument - as they do not need to be made to be 100% accurate. Also temperature plays a big part, as when the room temperature gets warm, all will expand, and contract when cold.
If you wanted to be super-correct, close all doors around you to ensure no draft is coming past, as this can also adjust the weight.
And to be super-super accurate, whilst weighing, don't be stood over the scales, as your body temperature and even you breathing can alter the result.

Whilst you're at the PO, and weighing your parcels, take a look at the spirit level built in to the scales (it's at the bottom left) , and check this is showing level too - it won't make a dramatic difference, but if your parcels are hitting 101g, you'll be paying more than a parcel weighing 99g.
And an obvious thing to do, before you put your parcel on ANY scales, make sure the display shows zero.

But tbh, it's probably just your scales. - thought I'd share some knowledge in laymans terms.

Adam

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
.......except that RM these days charge for weight and size, they have 3 sizes, small letter, large letter and parcel with the weight affecting the cost once the size has been defined, all in place to confuse the poor public no doubt.

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
.......except that RM these days charge for weight and size, they have 3 sizes, small letter, large letter and parcel with the weight affecting the cost once the size has been defined, all in place to confuse the poor public no doubt.
Thanks for adding that Witch, I assumed nickisue knew this as its needed in order to get a quote online..

Also nickisue, if you are finding it a problem, why not pay for the postage online and print out the label?
(Of course if you underpay postage the recipient will have to fork out for the extra)

NickiSue

Sep 30, 2012
North Yorkshire
Thanks for replies. I've used the online system but not for printing out labels. As you say I am worried about the customer having to pay for postage, which would cause havoc with my feedback.

My scales read as correct for weighed food goods etc so I'm not convinced it is my scales. I daren't question the PO ladies, they will eat me alive :)